Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is half of a two-part illustration I did for work: we have a pool table in the office [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The other half is a British rack.

Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

http://www.isocalc.com/image/epa-pool-rack.png
    Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

This is half of a two-part illustration I did for work: we have a pool table in the office [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The other half is a British rack.

Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

http://www.isocalc.com/image/epa-pool-rack.png
    Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

The idea was that it was simple to execute, but effective. If you look closely at the shadows and reflections, they are obviously "not right". However, if you don't look at the details, but instead look at the composition, it looks like a pool rack. Does to me, anyhow [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The triangle itself is rather pants, though.

It's good enough for people to be able to rack up properly at work ... but in reality those that don't already know don't actually care and don't bother to rack up proper, like.

Nick.
    Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

Needs to have a traditional green-felt background with old stains of beer and a few burn-holes from misplaced ashes. Oh, and a tear or two. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Nice job, Nick!

Reminds me of many late nights and early mornings in my fraternity house ... yes, I did manage to graduate ... barely.

John,

Thanks for you comments. I kid you not when I say that the pool table at work (how lucky we are ... when we can get the owner of the company off it) has a blue baize cloth on a slate bed. And no coin slot.

And no beer stains. Or rips (newly reconditioned).

And cues that feel like a bamboo cane with a half-chewed eraser on the end - some people bring their own cues to work instead.

I never particularly got into pool at university. But I have a taste for it now. I am still waiting for flare to catch up - the best person to play is the owner, as he has a tendency to lose [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nick.
    Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

I spent 6 hours playing 9 ball with my friend. Btw. What kind of rules do you have for 9 ball? Our are quite simplified and different from those in 3d pool game.

First. We don't care about the rule that white must hit ball and also the table edge. (scratch otherwise)

I don't remember if it was necessary to hit the ball before edge or you could also shoot and bounce from edges.

Hitting opponents ball first means that opponents ball goes to hole and +scratch.

Btw. On scratch you cannot place ball anywehre just on the marked point.

Hiding the black ball means end of the game.

I have couple of questions : what do you do when white flies out of table (It happens here quite often ;-))

What do you do when white fall to hole.

etc. etc. bla bla bla..

I'm really interested how do you play it. Maybe I'll persuade my friend to play according to your rules ;-).

(sorry for chaotic expressions)

Roman

Roman,

We play to a bastardized version of the rules at:

http://www.arseweb.com/rupe/pool/uk_rules.html

However, in the UK, in pubs, since you have to pay per play, there are various 'house rules' that prolong a game of pool, and people can opt-in or opt-out of these rules by agreement. Pub rules include:

1. When on the black, no free shot if other player fouls.

2. Can only shoot forward from the baulk when re-placing the cue ball on the table.

3. Cannot move cue ball following a foul.

4. Must nominate a pocket for the black - get it in the wrong pocket and default the game.

5. No re-rack following a foul on break, unless no balls have gone down.

These just make the game go on for longer, so you get your 50 pence's worth.

Another point: in the UK we play pool with red and yellow balls. In the US generally pool is played with spots and stripes, with numbers, and there are all sorts of US rules to do with nominating which ball and which pocket to play, but I don't know the details.

Funnily enough we do have a set of US 8-balls at work, so perhaps I should start people playing with them in order to make the games last longer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, back to the table ... oh, damn, it's the weekend ... down to the pub instead, then [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com
    Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

Forgot to upload the _other_ rack. Here it is.

Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bapto-pool-rack.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	5025  
    Nick Wilkinson.
    IsoCalc.com

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

The only picture that downloaded for me was the last one of the racked balls. There must have been two others because there are comments on them.

Judi