Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Photo "Windows cannot add Printer" problem with XP&GD 10 and 9

I am setting up software on a new PC (Win 7 Pro 64bit) and when I try to print on a HP OfficePro 8600 with XP&GD 10, I receive the message, "Windows can't open Add printer. The Print spooler service is not running". This occurs every day I boot up the computer to start work in Xara Graphics. The strange thing is that Xara Web Designer 9 Premium is not affected, nor are any of the Microsoft office 365 products. They all print without a problem. It seems that whenever I click "Print" in Xara Graphics, it crashes the Print Spooler. I can in fact get XP&GD to print by manually turning the Print Spooler on each time, but that is a pain I want to avoid. After reading numerous forums on printer problems, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Xara Graphics, I've installed version 9 and still get the same problem. I've uninstalled and re-installed the Printer drivers twice - but the problem still persists with XP&GD. I was hoping some other Xara user might be able to shed some light on this problem. Thanks.

Default Re: "Windows cannot add Printer" problem with XP&GD 10 and 9

Might try running it as an administrator once. If it works then you should be able to run it normally.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Might try running it as an administrator once. If it works then you should be able to run it normally.

Mike
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I tried that, but no change. Xara 10 still says it can't add a printer - and when I checked, the Print Spooler is actually started and other programs, including Web Designer 9 CAN print...Zan

Hi Zan,

I have no other idea. You may want to file a support ticket on Xara's web site.

Mike

Thanks anyway, Mike. I'll try that. Zan

Zan, I would be most interested in hearing what Xara support says, I just tried it with no problems.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Zan, I would be most interested in hearing what Xara support says, I just tried it with no problems.
    After having me install Xara and attempt to print on another computer on the same network (where printing caused no problems), I was informed that it may be a problem particular to my new computer's setup, and the issue would get passed onto the developers. My suspicion is that it is some conflict caused by the fact that I installed a stack of programs and windows updates over the space of a a day or two. Since Windows 10 is coming, I'm going to reinstalled my new Windows 7 Pro 64bit to a formatted hard drive, install Windows 10 over the top of that and then take my time installing my programs. I'll install the Printer drivers first and then Xara and check the printing status after each new program I install. Incidentally, I installed the trial of Xara Graphics 11 and it has the same problem - crashes the Print spooler when I click "Print".

The one thing I always do when installing any Windows application is to perform a cold start (not Restart).

Mind you, I've finally won a battle with Windows moaning about DHCP over Wi-Fi by going to Ethernet; the printer would always go off-line (it was conflicted, poor thing).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

A network printer. I must have missed that.

Some Windows applications have issues with long path names, especially when combined with a long device name. Try renaming the path and or printer name.