Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Cool things you can do with brushes

First off I've got to say a resounding well done! to the folks at Xara!

The new brushes will give us some powerful new ways to bend our imaginations! Some things I've discovered that will help you get started with them.

1. very few limitations on what you can make a brush from if you can draw it in Xara you can quite likely create a brush from it. Only the new transparencies can not be used in a brush definition.

2. Different settings create different types of brushes you can set them to stretch along a path, repeat and bend along a path, and scale proportionately along a path and add to that the old scatter brushes and all their settings.

3 save the original artwork in your brush file and you can tweak it and add even more brushes to your custom collections (cause you know you are going to start collecting them!) For example a drawing of a leaf could be done with named colours and saved as an art brush that scales proportionately and by changing the colours and/or tweaking the graphic in other ways then creating more brushes from the same graphic you can quickly and easily create a whole set of leaf brushes.

So while you are experimenting with the brushes show off what you have created! don't worry if it's a work in progress or if you feel it's not good enough all submissions are welcome!

To start things off here is something I did with just a few shapes and a bunch of lines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fireworks.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	108547  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Cool things you can do with brushes

That looks very beautiful

I don't think you can use can use stroke shapes either, but easy enough to convert these to shape first

very nice fireworks frances [said he who won't go within a mile of the real thing ]

using profile shapes works for me Both with in a brush definition object and applied to the line afterword. so you could create an art brush that repeats along the path and then afterwords apply a profile shape to the line and for example if you used a profile that goes from thick to thin you would get your repeating brush stroke to do the same
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

what I mean is - if I draw a line with an applied meteor stroke shape for example, when I make an art brush of this the brush does not have the stroke shape embedded in it; for that i have to convert the original stroke shaped line to a shape and make the brush from that [edit - this is not a complaint, just an observation]

Here is a swirly floral graphic all done with brushes custom created in Xara
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floral flourish.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	108556  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Both look quite impressive. I guess a little (video) tut is in the making?

I will probably do a brushes video when I get a chance. In the meantime I've posted a set of the brushes that I used for the floral flourish in the brushes forum http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...s&goto=newpost As the brushes forum is kept locked I'll provide support for the brush pack here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice brushes, Angelize, thanks.

Frances those floral swirls are extra looking ones.. Seeing those waiting for the coming of Xara Designer Pro X11 more