Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XARA or 3D Rendering Software

Was this done in XARA or a 3-D rendering program? That was the question given to Gary B. earlier today. I was looking for some 3-D rendering software that I could use with Xara. I see Gary using 3D software all the time, so I asked his recommendation. To say the least, his answer was rather discouraging. He did however give me a lot of encouragement about my own skills in Xara. So last night I decided to push the envelope and do something a little bit out of my comfort zone. I posted this morning that I had in deed found a 3-D rendering software that was compatible with XARA and it was completely free. Also, it had an easy learning curve. I would not tell him that name of the software. He had to guess. He took a couple of guesses at what it could be. He was wrong on all counts. The name of the software of coarse was XARA!

This was accomplished 100% in Xara without any filters or bitmap tracing or photo tool any kind. Just the basic tools. It's pure vector. I added named colors to give me more often when I was done. When I had finished this project, I surprised myself. It looked so good, it looked like somebody els had done it. I'm so thankful that Gary pushed me. I did not realize the potential that was already with me. Sometimes we are our own worst critics. I remember when I first started using Xara. I was in aw of all the work that the other artist were posting in the art gallery. I never thought that one day my work would be like there's. I hope you all like it.

I believe another artist here on TG did one like this but with a colored ball. I was so amazed when I had first seen that, I could not understand how he could get that kind detail with Xara. Now I know.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Realistic 2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	108508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Realistic Named Color.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	108509  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Realistic Wireframe.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	108510  
    Last edited by Psaumure; 29 June 2015 at 07:01 AM.

Default Re: XARA or 3D Rendering Software

Wonderful! Tell us how you did it.

Rendering is an art too. I've seen a lot of bad renderings. Your work is great, but it's also an illustration.
    Besides rendering it allows you to create countless of variants from a single model. How many hours do you have drawn your model?

That is just amazing!

Reflections look very believable.

It takes a lot of skill to even get such a result in Cinema 4D.

Lighting is Beautiful Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Psaumure View Post
    This was accomplished 100% in Xara without any filters or bitmap tracing or photo tool any kind. Just the basic tools. It's pure vector.
    Before of anything that is so good to hear.. Because showing that the potential is huge of the software in good hands

These are magical looking ones, congratulations

Thank you everyone for your coments. I enjoyed putting this one together. It was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to doing more.

digitalphaser. I'm not putting down rendering as an art form by any means. I have great respect for the Artist who take the time to learn the software and express themselves through it. I am just pointing out that XARA can also produce some phenomenal pieces of 3D rendering. To answer your question; Since this was my first time drawing this, this one took about five hours. It took a little longer because I was using named colors. To redraw, it would probably take me three hours and would come out better then the first. I learn from my mistakes. I think this was considerably last time then it would've taken me to figure out how to use a piece of 3D rendering software. That was a big part of the conversation that I was having with Gary. This all started because of my curiosity of 3-D rendering software. How long would this take you to do in a 3D rendering environment? I don't know anyone that are using rendering software aside from Gary. He tells me that there is quit a learning curve and expense for most rendering software that will produce this kind of quality. For me, this was a free and easy upgrade.

Thank you again everyone for your interest in my work and your kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Wonderful! Tell us how you did it.
    Boy, I had to sit back and think about this, "How You Do That?". (If I were a magician, I will tell you, "Very well thank you".) That is quit a question. Before I answer it, I want you to know that I don't have a traditional art background. I started here on TG. an average guy asking questions. Just like most of you. I spent a lot of time doing tutorials. not just once, but over and over. You still have the Masters here on TG that I learned from. Some people think I'm special. I'm not. I think any of you can do the same as me. I'm not here to boast what I can do, but rather what you can do with XARA and a few discipline.

So, here is my answer. Draw icons, logos, tutorials that are shiny. DRAW, Draw, draw... I have not been on TG for the last few years. Nor have I been drawing. My family got me a new 27" iMac with retina display for my birthday. I loaded up my Xara and got back on TG. The first thing I did was start drawing icons, logos, wallpapers, anything I could find. I started flooding TG with my work. I kept drawing until the little thing I did shined. it also helped me to figure out what tools work best to make things shine. My philosophy is, "if you can do the small things well, that will give you the tools to do the BIG things". I look at a lot work that everyone has posted here on TG and you guys have the goods to do what I do. Just start with the basic and don't complicate it. That's my answer in a nut shell.

I posted some of the sample icons I did as an example of shiny. I have also posted a gun that I did, along with some sample files how that I put them together. I think when you go through the files, you will see just how simple i keep my work. No fancy tools, just the basics. Note, I gave you an actual piece out of my original drawing with named colors. See if you can redraw it for yourself. Play with it and have fun.

Hopefully this answers your question. Again, my goal is not to boast about me, but what YOU can do with XARA.

I hope this was helpful? If you have any questions, please let me know.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Android battery.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	108530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Candy apple farm.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	108531  

Name:	Gun Patts.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	108532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gun.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	108533  

Name:	Lighting Sample 1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	108534  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Before of anything that is so good to hear.. Because showing that the potential is huge of the software in good hands

These are magical looking ones, congratulations
    Yes Csehz. I agree with you, and the potential is huge. That's why I attached some files for you to take apart and see how simple it is.

Enjoy my friend and thanks for your interest.

Sorry I did not do your design justice when recreating it in 3D.

Where yours is round and smooth... Mine is horribly wavy but I gave up. I'm only an amateur.

I screwed up the background as well.

But it is remarkable how close your reflections and lighting to a 3D render are.

Keep amazing us with your work Paul!

Name:	3D.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	108537

Hey Dutchim, that's really coooool. Thank you for taking the time to do that and posting it. May I ask what program you did that in? How long did it take you to do that. It's interesting to see a redraw of my work. Maybe some other 3-D rendering Argus would be willing to Do a redraw also. It would be interesting to see what can be done using rendering software.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Paul