Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one more old

Default one more old

This was an experiment I used to learn Xara (extreme 2). It was done many years ago, and I did things in a way I would do differently today. Also would have taken the background more seriously - it was a slap together after thought. It did serve it's purpose though. Coming off of Freehand and Illustrator - the gradient options in Xara were like a dream. That said it is easier to do figures (at least some parts) with gradient meshes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chiefetteWbg.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	108342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheifetteWbgWire.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	108343  

Default Re: one more old

I think it looks great. If that was an experiment learning Xara many years ago, I can't help but wonder what you do now.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I agree with wizard, that looks great! I too would like to see more of your current work. I don't think that you really have to concern yourself with the background, I didn't even notice that you had one in there. I tried my hand at drawing people. Nothing compared to what you put together. Did you switch over to working with gradient meshes, or are you still drawings in Xara?

First up - thanks!
    Unfortunately - as a starving freelance artist - most vector work I do has to be in Illustrator. Outside of work I work traditionally, digitally (I like Art Rage and MyPaint), and 3D. When I do work in vector - I have to try to keep loose with Illustrator so I only occasionally work in Xara (as well as Draw Plus - which is a nice budget software that has similar gradients to Xara and a Gradient Mesh tool, and have done freelance work with Inkscape). Sometimes I wish I could be split into 10 people - each mastering different mediums without distraction.
    Because of feedback from Grey, Ron Duke, and this thread - I am considering possibly doing one now ... if I can find time.

That's a classy piece of work, uberzilla.

HOT!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	createdwoman2wip.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	110442
    Another old piece I never got around to finishing (about 33% of the way depending on how much I choose to add - back ground, wrapper on the clay block, finishing the sculpting tools and the clay, clay turntable, and a lot of light and shadow tweaking) - but I like the concept so will probably finish either in Xara or redo in traditional media. There is sort of a masochistic thrill in fighting to get vector to work as a medium for rendering figures

Maybe a little demeaning to women, but well executed.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Maybe a little demeaning to women, but well executed.
    I have to agree with Gary. I don't like the concept of a woman as a lump of clay, but the image is well done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I don't like the concept of a woman as a lump of clay...
    angelise, Genesis2:7 has Adam made from dust. At least clay has some water added. The images fall short of Michelangelo's Creation of Adam (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...on_of_Adam.jpg) but the intent seems to be akin. I wonder what Michelangelo would have done with vector drawings? I think Escher would have been right at home.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat