Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://www.bakhter.com

I just browsed a bit in the 3D software section and I can only say...wooow...they really have one unique collection of links to software that I, who's always on the lookout for new things, never heard of! A great resource for us graphics lovers.

Just check it out and I'm sure you'll find some amazing stuff too.

http://www.bakhter.com

I just browsed a bit in the 3D software section and I can only say...wooow...they really have one unique collection of links to software that I, who's always on the lookout for new things, never heard of! A great resource for us graphics lovers.

Just check it out and I'm sure you'll find some amazing stuff too.

yes very good link
    thanks for tkis [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank you, Gaussian!

Everyone who is broke should check out this site!

VERY nice offerings.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gaussian,

thanks a ton for the link. Guess what I've discovered there? Ex-Soft F/X is now freeware (GNU license) with the name 'Open F/X. It's a GREAT 3D software, developed by one single brain: Dr. Ferguson. 5 years ago they charged around US$ 1.000 for it, and now it's FREE **including** all the plug-ins and nine yards - stuff like collision detection, bouncing, deformation etc you would have to pay a fortune to get them for C4D XL. The renderer is a bit slow if you are used to C4D, but what the heck. **THE TOOL** for beginners and people who don't want to invest a fortune...

Good ol' times <sigh>. Can I recommend it? YES. But beware of the download size: 44 MB is a LOT. My choice would be the small version with 22 MB - if you can live without the movies and samples. If you need help, just join the mail list - they have a great community there - at least several years ago.

Again, thanks a lot for your link!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on May 10, 2002 at 10:24.]
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

for 2D and 3D links, I can't believe this place!! I bookmarked it right away and then started browsing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Just ALLOT to go through!! Thanks TONS for this link Gaussian [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jens, have you used this "OpenFX"?? Was wondering if you had then maybe you could give a run down on the useability of it. I don't mind a 44 MB download but as long as it's not a complete waste of time.

You had said "**THE TOOL** for beginners and people who don't want to invest a fortune..."

So it's pretty easy to grasp?? or can you tell us in your opinion the learning curve. I'm completely "newbie" when it comes to 3D and I am on the look out for something affordable or free that I can get good at before advancing to something that is more advanced and pricey. I love the idea but most have learning curves that I just can't seem to wrap my mind around and I don't consider myself a dumb person, much [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks ahead of time for any info on this product [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

yes, I've worked for 2 years with this app when it carried the name Soft F/X Pro and a high price tag - before I switched to C4D.

You can't compare the usability with C4D because it has two different modules: one for modeling and one for the stage, that means for setting up the scene with lights, objects, cameras etc. to render it, but as far as I know C4D is the only app that does it all in one single 'surface' anyway.

Of course there is a learning curve, but it's simple. You can work with primitives (spheres, cubes etc), you have boolean functions, you can model with polygons and vertices, import DXF CAD files (and I think *.ai files as well), it offers simple NURBS now (a feature the Soft F/X Pro didn't have), and it does have a nice rendering engine - with a bit cryptic configuration though.

I'd say: try it. At least it's free and if you don't mind to dl 44 mb you will enjoy the avi samples.

Think about it this way: compared to other free 3D apps Open F/X is a full blown app, not crippleware or LE stuff. In addition the students at the math department of Dr. Ferguson at the University of ?? somewhere in Scotland constantly develops plug-ins, scripts, filters, effects for it - free of charge. Did I mention boning? It's included - see the sample I've attached (it's not from me, but from Rex Sutton in Tennessee)

To be honest: when I started out with SF/X I was a dumbag in terms of 3D rendering, but after just 3 weeks I rendered my first real good animations!

I still can't believe it's freeware now, but I know the story behind the scenes, so I think Dr. Ferguson was just pissed off by the marketing of the US company that had the distribution rights ;-}

If you want to know more, let me know - as long as my memory will stay in good condition I will try to help ;-} !

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

WOW! Elstinky is a great little animation. I actaully downloaded the 22 MB one this morning and bookmarked the pages where I can get all to all the galleries, samples, plugins, ect.... I invoked one of the modules this morning but had not time to play or investigate it further, I am typing from the salon right now. So just hair today, moving some more tomarrow and maybe on Monday I can start to learn some on this one. I like the GUI, looks really well put together, I guess it would have to be considering it was such an $$$ app at one time.

thanks again. I hope I can get a feel for this medium, I love 2D but 3D looks really awsome!

Have a great weekend [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:

You can't compare the usability with C4D because it has two different modules: one for modeling and one for the stage, that means for setting up the scene with lights, objects, cameras etc. to render it, but as far as I know C4D is the only app that does it all in one single 'surface' anyway.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

trueSpace from Caligari has been doing everything in one single surface, ever since v1 (now it's at 5.2)

Hei Bjørn! Er du min gamle email-kompis fra Kristiansund/sand??? TrueSpace experten?

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")