Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question The opening Adobe illustrator files without Adobe illustrator

Although some of the time remaining an illustrator file to .PDF will allow me to open it, other times the trick doesn't work.

Is there a free program available that will let me open Adobe illustrator files? I only need to view the files and spending the exorbitant amount of money for illustrator seems unnecessary.

I have tried Irfanview without luck.

Would you know of a good program to do this?

Thank you,

Default Re: The opening Adobe illustrator files without Adobe illustrator

The reason the renaming thing can work is only if an AI file has been saved with PDF data. It is the default option, but some people switch it off as it makes for smaller AI files.

The only application that can reliably open AI files without the include PDF data switch on is AI itself. There are purportedly AI viewers available, such as this one I found using a Google search:

http://aiviewer.com

But I have no idea if they work, nor whether one is going to install crapware or spyware when one installs them.

InkScape may be able to open some, likely not all and I don't know if it only can get at the PDF data if present.

Mike

Please remember that you can always download free trials of all Adobe products. If I was in your shoes I would firstly try Adobe Reader, then try downloading Adobe Bridge and use that to view your files. If you want to do more with the files download AI, all 2 gig of it, and then you have 30 days to work on the files. If you don't fancy any of these ideas then this free download might be your solution as it has a number of good reviews although I haven't used it (Don't know it is the same as Gary's link); http://download.cnet.com/Free-AI-Vie...-76116009.html
    Design is thinking made visual.

Question Re: The opening Adobe illustrator files without Adobe illustrator

Following 5 steps might be a solution for problem .ai files, another you may use in case none of guides don't work [link removed by moderator] Recovery Toolbox for Illustrator

Step 1
    Launch Adobe Illustrator. Click “File” and select "Open” from the context menu.
    Step 2
    Choose the file you want to recover in the file-navigation dialog. Highlight the file but do not open it.
    Step 3
    Press “Ctrl-Alt-Shift” on a Windows PC, or press the Command-Option-Shift” keys simultaneously on a Mac.
    Step 4
    Click “Open” while holding down the keys. A blank window will open. Close this window.
    Step 5
    Navigate to the directory containing your file with the work you want to recover. Open it and look for a copy of the original filename preceded by an underscore (“_”) character. This is your recovered file ready for editing.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 14 June 2015 at 04:12 PM.

Welcome to TalkGraphics akilathans

Links to commercial websites are not permitted for new members so I have removed your link. But if any of the members wants to do a Google search for Recovery Tools for Illustrator I am sure she or he can do this.

The question being asked however, is not how to open the file in Illustrator but how to open the Illustrator file if the member does not own Illustrator.

You may visit the same thread with trouble related on yours ​http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/...-files-5628071