Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Hipster Theme/Template??

That's because Xara is not suitable for his needs, his website is more than a web presence, it is an online store. He creates templates for a business, not for his own use. And for $17 per website template, it is a bargain!

I have mixed feeling re using template, I normally use 'elements' from templates to build my own sites, yes I could do it from scratch, buy by purchasing a template I feel that I am rewarding the designer for their efforts and also hopefully saving some time.

I have bought some template from Michal and have been very pleased with the attention to detail and his support when I have needed it - I am sure he would be a great addition to the Xara team!

It makes good business sense to use the software that is most appropriate for the customers sites requirements whether that be Xara, Adobe or Wordpress and does not denigrate the other packages usefulness when an alternative is chosen.

I will continue to use Xara and cant wait for ProX 11!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post

But have you also seen the templates, they look like they too were designed by 'non' designers. If as Rob says "The Hipster site was never a template in the first place, it was a demo site created by one of our developers", then who designs the templates? they are very dated to say the least and don't seem to follow any current (or indeed past) design conventions. And as Rob also says in the same sentence "to show off what Xara V11 can do" then surely they would want the templates to show off as well.
    Hopping on this one, just did the upgrade expecting to at least have access to the "bait site" that got me interested in upgrading to WDP11 - but the 'new' templates included don't even come CLOSE to the quality of what is used to get you to buy/upgrade into the software.

In my opinion, regardless of what the developers expect creatively from the people who buy their program - not including Hipster can be seen as misleading to new users (and upgrading users!) of WD. If McDonalds used photos of full-lobster dishes and Angus steaks to get people into their restaurants, customers would be disappointed when they didn't see those options on the menu.

I know, I know - you can build the Hipster site yourself. I can also download Wordpress and build sites with that, but I don't want the hassle - that's what WDP is all about, less hassle! If your argument for not including Hipster is that 'it's so easy to do', and you're using it to get people to buy the program, then why not just include something that's close to the Hipster look and feel to help out people who bought the program because of that site?

This has already been discussed. New templates are being made, and the hipster / ultimate website is being made into a theme included as well. We don't have any lead times but soonish.