Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website themes and elements (v11)

In the design gallery there are now different types of website themes:
    General - Mobile ready
    General (with subcategory 'legacy') and
    Business specific

a) Is there any structural differences between the legacy category and the other general themes or is it just that there are no plans to develop the legacy themes further?

b) What's the situation re mobile variants for the business-specific templates?

c) I have a couple of codes for free business templates from an earlier version of the software. I assume these are still valid to purchase business templates?

I've never used a theme 'as is' but frequently take elements (colour schemes nav bars, buttons etc.) from different themes and would love to organise these elements with my own naming for easy retrieval, in a way which can easily be moved between Xara versions. Is there an easy way to do this? Angelize already wrote a nice tutorial on how to do this for colour schemes.)
    Last edited by yjs; 24 May 2015 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Website themes and elements (v11)

Legacy themes, I believe, do not have mobile variants. The new themes do.

Not sure about your questions b & c. Contact Xara at support.xara.com and they will be better able to tell you.

Thanks, any idea of the difference between the legacy themes and the other general themes?

I'm not sure but as I mentioned I think the Legacy Themes don't have Variants. I think that Xara is working to add these and probably along the way, they will be updated to include variants.

The Legacy themes are ones without Mobile versions, and are designs that are, how should I say, 'less than contemporary', so we will unlikely be moving these forward, adding mobile variants or other updates. But many people use, and like these designs, so instead of removing them completely we just put them in a 'legacy' folder.

The other 'General themes' were more favoured designs by our graphics designers, and will at some point get mobile variants as well. The 'General - Mobile ready' themes are ones that have one or more variants included and so are better suited for mobile optimized and desktop websites.

Thanks for these replies. Indeed a couple of the legacy themes (particularly Orbit) have been popular with clients.

Grateful for any suggestions to organise the elements in the design gallery. At the moment I have to rely on my own notes to use a panel from web template 1 and colour scheme from presentation template 2 a graphics from a third template and another graphic from a fourth etc. It would be nice to have a way to organise these for easy retrieval.

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    At the moment I have to rely on my own notes to use a panel from web template 1 and colour scheme from presentation template 2 a graphics from a third template and another graphic from a fourth etc. It would be nice to have a way to organise these for easy retrieval.
    Hi yjs, have you considered giving each imported element the name of the source that it came from (eg. imported from abc template, services page, etc.) , granted it is not all in one place but it would be easily accessed

Ciao

Roly

yjs, you could save each element in individual .xar files to a folder on your hard drive. Then add that folder to your Designs Gallery by using the disc designs button. You will then have easy access to them

Thanks. rolyd I don't want to alter component names on a live web but have indeed created a dummy web with named components. As jamesd suggests I could also put these in a folder of xar files (except for the colour schemes I think?) I'll play around with this, thanks again to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    Thanks. rolyd I don't want to alter component names on a live web but have indeed created a dummy web with named components. As jamesd suggests I could also put these in a folder of xar files (except for the colour schemes I think?) I'll play around with this, thanks again to you both.
    I think you can save colour schemes in the same way, but not sure. I think I remember Francis had posted about saving colour schemes before.