Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Quality of pictures in Xara Web Designer.

Hey all

Thanks for help.

A small question.
    I put to my web gallery page. How can I remove white boarders or change them colours around Thumbnails, please.

Archie.

What gallery are you using?

If the thumbnails have outlines around them, try this: Ctrl click on the thumbnail image then right click on the crosshatched box to the left of the screen palette colors and select Clear Line Color.

Does the 'Retina (hidef) images' option also upgrade menu resolution?
    Yes that option means that all graphics, text exported as graphics and photos are output at Retina resolution and will be sharp - exactly the same as native resolution on the iPad. The method works for all hi-def screens on all devices, Android, Windows and OSx/iOS.

With this option on, all graphics and images are exports at normal and hi-res verison (using the normal @2x convention for the filenames). There is javascript on the page that intelligently loads the correct image depending on the screen resolution of the device. So this means your websites is maximally optimized for normal screens so there's no unnecessary downloading of over-resolution images for normal displays,(unlike that Joel example) but also that you get hi-res graphics and photos on on Retina and similar hi-res screens.

Hi, have ever tried with other format images? Like PNG or Tiff as the pictures?

I just know PNG is really high resolution image. JPG just drops some graphic and colors which we hardly see. So it can lead to blurring when zooming in. Simply use bulk exif editor to convert images to PNG to see if it's the JPG issue.

PNG is really high resolution image.

No, PNG is a format that retains all of the required pixel information about an image without degrading it - independent of resolution.

JPG just drops some graphic and colors which we hardly see.

No, JPG is a lossy format that tries to reduce file size without compromising the subjective quality of the image. It loses information in the image and in doing so adds 'artifacts' that degrade the picture quality. The more the jpeg encoder compresses the original image, the more picture quality is compromised. This format is particularly suitable for images that are photographics and with less fine detail that needs to be preserved - unsuitable for solid areas of the same colour or preserving fine detail.

You mention changing the html I thought you could not do this with xara. I too am having image resolution issues. On my laptop photos are sharp but on other machines they appear blurred. Is there a way to get consistant results?

Make sure that your images are no less than 96dpi. And if you want your images to be used for high resolution mobile devices then 192dpi. This means that the original image you have imported into Xara exceeds 192dpi when it is at actual size. If your images are less than 96dpi, even if they were sharp originally, they will be soft and fuzzy if the resolution is less than 96dpi.

Question. These are the properties of this photo

w 1733 px

h 1155 px

Horizontal res. 96dpi

Vertical res. 72dpi

Would the vertical resolution have anything to with why my pics look like crap when I put them on my page and view them online?

should I resize the pics to fit the widget that I'm putting them or should I just insert or import them the way they are? This pic and the others I am using look terrible when I view them in the browser. I also optimized them when I inserted them in the widget so as to help myself with download speed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photodune-730779-nursing-m.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	114582

A difference in H-res and V-res indicates that the image is no longer scaled at 100% in both H/V. How that affects image quality depends on the image. Your image has been "stretched" vertically disproportionately from its horizontal shape (hence the lower DPI value).

If for some reason you desire this effect, make a bitmap copy of the stretched image and see if it retains quality (it probably will). If not (whether the quality is still poor or if you desire a proportional image), make the vertical resolution the same as the horizontal resolution.

Mike

When I look at the original pic it is saying that it is 72dpi by 72dpi. I just want to pic to be clear and not fuzzy. I'm guessing that when I inserted the pic that the Xara optimization made it 96dpi.