Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: cloud.xara discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    Doesn't matter.
    Read the EULA in Help.

Where did you get this notion from?
    Source please.

EDIT: BTW, a 'crossgrade' is when you come from Competing Graphics titles, such as CorelDraw.
    Magix uses the term "crossgrade" when going from one of their products to another similar product, usually the one that is the next step up. For example, I received a "crossgrade" offer recently to go from Samplitude Music Studio to Samplitude Pro X2. "Crossgrade" was in the subject in the email from Magix.

As for the $19.95 offer, it is only available for registered users of Designer Pro X10 (for those who can't wait for DPX11), so I doubt that one could transfer it to someone who did not have DPX10. Xara may have this restriction buried somewhere when you go to buy it. If not, perhaps one could "legally" do a transfer, but it wouldn't be right, at least IMHO. Otherwise, we could all buy it for $19.95 and transfer it (sell it for more) to others.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Magix uses the term "crossgrade" when going from one of their products to another similar product, usually the one that is the next step up. For example, I received a "crossgrade" offer recently to go from Samplitude Music Studio to Samplitude Pro X2. "Crossgrade" was in the subject in the email from Magix.
    Sorry, I was discussing Xara software and terminology used on the Xara website.

where do I see this Xara cloud to which you refer

I googled it and got this http://www.xaracloud.net , which doesn't seem to be the same thing or is it.

http://cloud.ixara.com/

But you will need to be a registered v11 user to gain access.

I am not a registered user... But going to Steve Ledger's link from my phone is not possible.

Thought this was supposed to be accessible from anywhere?

Guess the link should be:

http://cloud.xara.com/

Or am I wrong?

The Sign In link on cloud.xara.com takes you to cloud.ixara.com. I just skipped the intro page.

Link works fine on my Android phone.
    Though I doubt very much if the intention is to edit your Web Designer files via a smartphone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-01 09.50.22.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	107741  

Reading these comments, I find myself agreeing with Mike Wenz's reluctance to make site or art changes at a customer's place. Obviously, with our laptops and an internet connection, it is easy to do... as easy as working at home, or in your own office. The problem is that it trivializes your hard-won skills, and thus devalues your work. Letting your customer make edits allows a race to the bottom, price-wise. With easy-to-use software like Xara, it won't be long before they start thinking, "Hey, we can do that... why are we paying this guy... or that gal... so much money?"

Now, I'm coming at this from a freelancer's POV. If you are employed by a large corporation, you'll look like a hero if you get Xara accepted as a collaborative workspace tool. Sticking point -- whether you can convince the IT department that Xara Cloud is secure, since every Fortune 500 company wards off hundreds of serious hack attampts each day.

In sum, the problem is that Xara makes it so easy to do good work so fast that you need to hide this from your clients. Delay job delivery as long as you can, to continue the illusion that what you do is so hard, so special, that it takes a lot of time, to justify your charges. Resist the temptation to be a fast-delivery hero! They'll appreciate your effort, and then start reducing what you can charge.

So what's Xara Cloud good for? How about collaborative work on a project among several freelance artists and web designers -- without the customer being involved at all? Might be excellent for small companies who sell a project, then bring in freelancers, make the thing, all the talent gets paid and goes off to a new project, etc. The Rolling Stones Voodoo tour was a great model for this... form a corporation just for that project, do it, then disband the project. Hollywood sort of runs on this kind of framework. Not much security, but if you're good, you usually have work. Downside is that your other project collaborators can be in Hyderabad or Bangalore, so there is that little disconnect between what they'll work for and what you want, or need to have to get by. But again, the more you keep the customer mystified, awed, and in the dark about what you do, the better... Cloud-based or not.

EDIT -- I just looked at the Xara Cloud website, something about a Better Way To Work ... and please forgive me, I thought it was about cloud artwork... but it is not. Xara Cloud is aimed at general business, with testimonials from real estate agents, etc. So my comments above -- disregard them -- it would take an IT person to assess the merits of Xara Cloud, and that ain't me, sorry!
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

I haven't done much collaborative "live" work. But I have done some, some with others in Eastern Europe and India. In all cases payment was structured as an even distribution. In that sense, the geographical sense, they all made more than I did cost of living wise. That was the fair thing.

I would be reluctant to fudge turning over work to "pad" a sense of value. The client is paying me for my expertise and being timely, realistically timely, increases trust and value.

I'm not sure which direction this cloud editing is going to take Jon. At present it's so rudimentary as to be of no use at all. Why would I choose to edit any site using such a primative interface? On the other hand, does Xara intend to develop the cloud interface so much that eventually it's an exact replica of the desktop version? Fne for me to edit from wherever but my client editing the same file? I'm going to have to give some serious tutorials to the client which will take far longer than the time it took me to create the original site.

If I want to go along the route of the client being able to edit all the content, I'd much rather create a full blown CMS site.

However, what I do find interesting is many of my clients don't need full blown CMS sites (They may say they do, but they've no concept of what's required). This would be a great niche for the Xara Cloud. Most of my clients just want to occassionally edit opening hours, basic pricing structures and amend some small text content.

I've given Xara Cloud a trial on this using Google Drive and indeed it works. I could amend a text block which I'd set to push as the text increased in length and on publishing, indeed the page grew to accomodate the new length. I like the promise that offers for the future. At present it's far to buggy for even me as an experienced Xara user to feel comfortable with, let alone a client. Even the extended text outside the text area can not be selected with the text tool for example. How do you explain that to a non Xara user?

But I'm reserving my judgement. If Xara can get it to work on a very simple text editor fashion such a site would suit many of my current & future clients.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by jon404 View Post
    EDIT -- I just looked at the Xara Cloud website, something about a Better Way To Work ... and please forgive me, I thought it was about cloud artwork... but it is not. Xara Cloud is aimed at general business, with testimonials from real estate agents, etc. So my comments above -- disregard them -- it would take an IT person to assess the merits of Xara Cloud, and that ain't me, sorry!
    You're looking at the wrong website, that site has nothing to do with Xara or MAGIX.

You want http://cloud.xara.com

Repeat- these sites are NOT related to Xara or Magix

http://xaracloud.net/betterIT/

http://www.abetterwaytowork.co.uk/