Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default cloud.xara discussion thread

So what are your thoughts on Cloud.Xara? What features do you like and what do you hope for it's future?

One feature I quite like is being able to replace a photo directly from my tablets camera. It's quick and easy to tap the picture select replace and choose to replace from camera and the camera opens up and you can take your picture and it's placed right in your document! what would be nice would be an option to edit the photo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: cloud.xara discussion thread

The cool thing about picture replacement is that photo will now appear in the master document on your desktop. You need do nothing - it's just a way of doing 'remote update' of not only your website, but pictures in any Xara document on your desktop (assuming you're using Dropbox or Google Drive).

There is basic photo editing there now; scale, rotate, position of photos within their frames. More powerful photo editing (brightness, filters etc) is difficult in the browser, but something we are working on.

The more powerful editing is what I was thinking of. I'm glad to hear that it's in the works.

Now come on folks who else out there has given cloud Xara a go? surely this is a new feature worth discussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ...Now come on folks who else out there has given cloud Xara a go? surely this is a new feature worth discussion.
    It's a feature I won't use myself. The same capabilities are available from a few applications I use...and I don't use it for them.

However, while I would need clarification, it sounds like this feature of images syncing with the desktop would mean (to me) that images could now be links. If so, that's something I would use depending upon its implementation. If it simply means link = replacement of an embedded image, then no, I wouldn't use that. If it is actual linking and a proxy is used in the layout, that I would use.

Mike

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that you have to purchase WD11 before you can do anything with cloud.xara

So, those of us, who use Designer Pro, and who are waiting for that upgrade, can't really take part!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

@Mike:

No your images are not links at all your entire document (as long as you have saved it to Dropbox or Google drive) is synced to whatever devices you have given access to it. an image can be replaced remotely and it will be replaced in the dropbox or google drive document. when you next open the doc on another device In WD11 the image will be replaced.

workflow with cloud xara might be something like this:

Case #1 prepare documents in Xara on your desktop for client approval and save it to your Dropbox or Google drive. Now lets say some of your clients can't come to you so grab your tablet and go see them, with the client open cloud Xara on your tablet and open their document. As you discuss the document things like make this bolder or change this text or I don't like that photo can be addressed right there and these changes update instantly in your dropbox or Google drive so your client can give immediate approval and all is done. For changes that aren't possible yet in Cloud X you can have a section on the page where you can have notes and these notes are also saved back to home base!

Case#2 you have a client who wants to collaborate remotely with you on a document. The client needs to have either dropbox or google drive and an account on Xara.com you prepare a shared folder and invite them to access it. You create the document and save it to the shared folder now both you and your client have access and they can edit and update it using Cloud X

@: Rik Yes I understand that and by the time DP11 is launched I'm willing to bet cloudX will have more features added
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I cannot use it for a couple of reasons. 1. I do not do web stuff. and 2. I do not own WD11
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Well, neither of those scenarios are something I would use, Frances.

That's just two scenarios off the top of my head, and remember this is in it's infancy I could see it being not just a web design tool. Perhaps when DP11 comes out they'll add some vector editing features, and the ability to create a new document in the cloud would be nice.

my case #1 is something I would use it for. I can see once they fix a few things and add a few more features it being a great on the road sales tool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    That's just two scenarios off the top of my head, and remember this is in it's infancy I could see it being not just a web design tool. Perhaps when DP11 comes out they'll add some vector editing features, and the ability to create a new document in the cloud would be nice.

my case #1 is something I would use it for. I can see once they fix a few things and add a few more features it being a great on the road sales tool
    Case #1 I would take my laptop and make any and all changes necessary. If I were to do such a thing. While I do take my laptop, it generally is only broke out between meetings at a coffee shop wherein I work on projects. I never make live changes at a client's place.

I could give a hoot about using a browser for live changes to an otherwise desktop application's files. I fail to see the point whether it is Xara, Adobe or whoever. In fact, if anything, the whole thing potentially irks me. Whatever resources--time and money--went into this could have perhaps been spent on actually making the applications better.

Mike