Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Spot color conversion via PDF export

Using X9 so don't know if this has been added.

I would like the ability for spot color conversion to the output condition at the time of PDF exporting.

Default Re: Spot color conversion via PDF export

Convert spot colors to CMYK? Or retain the Spot Color info?

Convert to destination profile. Could be CMYK or RGB.

Retaining as spot is easy.

Mike

Hmm? Not in version 10. On the other hand, it's good that the spot colors do export as spot colors. Maybe in the next version we will see support for spot colors in bitmaps. But I am not going to hold my breath.

Thanks for looking.

There is a quick means of forcing the conversion to the color space as defined in the palette being used. But it's a one-way, one-time method. Which means they are no longer spot colors in the drawing interface.

I just noticed this last night when doing a piece for a company in Europe and using my RAL spot color palette. I needed to do a couple versions of the signage, one in CMYK and one with the spot retained. So I ended up with two files. As my RAL palette is RGB, the conversion to CMYK at output was close, but not perfect. Maybe I'll need to change it to CMYK for future usage.

Not a big deal per se, but a single file with a change to the output intent would not only be easier but less prone to future error...and be in-line with other applications I use.

Yeah, the Pantone image coloring would be nice as well. As would maintaining RGB/CMYK profiles throughout the work-flow. And ...