Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My new upgrade to V10

George--everything has difficulty involved.

However, XDP needs to be seen by Xara as something more than their web editor with some non-web stuff thrown in before substantial, meaningful, drawing and layout functionality is ever added. Xara's core user base are webbies, not illustrators or others who desire the drawing and typography enhancements many have been wanting.

Xara does get around to adding a bit here or there that has little to do with web stuff. But those features are few and far between. X11 may be a disappointment for myself but I won't really know until its release.

Dimensioning is also on my want list, but I think it is lower on my list than your needs--you do nice work, btw. I took a look on a gallery site. My wife is a turner and it amazes me to no end what y'all can do with chunks of wood.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by georgetroy View Post
    Showing a simple segmented bowl form with dimensions, also a finished bowl. How hard can it be to put this in the program? This is from Serif Draw Plus 8 which has easy curve, twain and dimensions. I also use Canvas and Coral Draw to layout a plan for segmented bowls, vases and vessels.
    I understand that you are creating the physical real product.
    Then all your programs(SDP,CD,XDP) are a bad choice for you. You need an engineering tool with industry standards.

One good program in this series:
    Punch ViaCAD™ 2D is a simple and powerful 2D drafting and design tool with over 275 drawing tools, 26 dimension styles, array tools, trimming tools etc.

This is the easy and cheap(40$) software in Punch series. Punch develops software for the construction of real objects(3d print, woodwork etc.)

Good luck!

If you are only looking for a 2D drawing package that has dimensioning, then there is a free one available called "Draft sight".
    https://www.3ds.com/products-service...-cad-software/

I use Xara with other CAD packages to do graphics for products. Yes dimensions would be very useful, but I find that using the rulers bars up and placing guidelines that you can right click on and set accurately, goes a long way for making up for a like of true dimensioning.

[QUOTE=Grafix Smelter;531427using the rulers bars up and placing guidelines that you can right click on and set accurately, goes a long way for making up for a like of true dimensioning.[/QUOTE]

I never need to dimension anything but if I did I would probably do it that way too. Thanks for the link Grafix Smelter I'll probably never need it but just in case thanks. I can see that some of you have a need for dimensioning, I just don't. What I don't know is those of you that have a need for dimensioning routinely are in the majority or minority, I suspect the latter in which case it wouldn't make since to implement it. I don't know much about programing and how difficult it would be but any changes to the code has consequences whether it be slowing down the program or introducing a bug or who knows, I am certain the programmers know. Many times I have thought how much the programmers do know to make our program function so well.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

In my line of work I need to accurately line up graphics in Xara with my CAD designs.
    My work flow is to do all the mechanical work in CAD and produce dimensioned drawings that I print to a PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/ mercifully AD free and also free!). Drag and drop the PDF into Xara (and group it!) that come in at 1:1 then stack your layers and draw over it.

Silly question, does anyone know if Xara can use ArtWorks modules?
    I still have !Precision on an ADFS floppy created by the dandy dresser (well he was last time I met him at a RISC OS show) Martin Würthner http://www.mw-software.com/software/...awmodules.html
    As others have said here, there probably is not enough demand to justify the work, so just ignore my ramblings.