Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Repelling Text in Two Separate Columns Around an Object

Another question for all you Xara smarties...

I have a two separate areas of text (basically, two columns). In the middle/between these two columns, I want to place a box and have the text in both of the two "columns" flow around it (making something to look sort of like the page of a magazine article).

I figured out how to repel text. However, it is only repelling the text in the right column. I have brought the text in the left column to the front (as the Help instructions advise), tried repelling again and still only affects the text in the right column. I then tried to bring a sample object over from the Galleries and that one, too, only repels the right column of text and not the left one.

Anyone know what I need to do to accomplish this?

Default Re: Repelling Text in Two Separate Columns Around an Object

Are both text frames on the same layer? Image needs to be placed above the text frames but can be on a higher layer than the text frames.

Mike

I shouldn't be so quick. The text frames can be on different layers, but the image needs to be on the highest layer at the top of the layer stack or a layer higher than all the rest. Then right-click on the image and choose Repel Under.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003290.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	107631

I haven't mastered layers at all and don't use them due to that. Everything is on the same layer right now.

And your graphic is a perfect example of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks for that.

Can you upload a sample file that misbehaves? Also, what Xara application do you use?

Xara application layers pretty much work like any application that has layers. I wouldn't use XDP if it didn't support layers.

Mike

This is just a simple document. For me, it just complicates things with layers, at least with the little knowledge I have of using the program. I'm a novice, not a professional designer or someone who knows the program well. So bear with me.

The file I'm working on isn't something I want to upload as it has proprietary information on it right now. I'll have to recreate something.

Okay, here's a sample file. Will that work?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am not sure what is going on with your text. But I created a new text column, created two linked columns, and then added a circle, brought the circle to the top, and applied repel text and it is working fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My "columns" of text weren't linked. Could that have been the problem? (I wasn't aware of "linking" text and will have to search the Help section to learn how to do that.)

Nothing is coming up in the Xara help section for "linking text." What topic should I be searching for?

Also, when I play around with your sample, try to change the size of the column or move them in any way, it loses the repelling again on the left side. So I need to figure out how to find the help topic on this so I can understand how it works.