Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

When Dmitry created his spiral program (spxe.exe), I wrote him and explained that I sometimes do ornamental ironwork and wondered if he could create a program that would generate the typical scroll shapes used in ornamental ironwork. He surprised me by creating a library of shapes for me that can be used in designing gates, fences, sign holders, planters and the like.

These shapes are timeless and have universal design application. I use them to prototype designs and calculate the lengths of material needed for fabrication but you can use them for illustration purposes so I'm posting the library for all Xara users.

They will save you much time and provide a valuable addition to your collection of design tools. You can bevel the scrolls, apply brush strokes to them and apply contours and moulds to create an endless variety of designs.

The file is called ironlib.zip. Create a directory under Xara, unzip the library and then add the .xar files to your clipart gallery for drag and drop.

Get it here...
    http://www.geocities.com/dogthief_texas/

When Dmitry created his spiral program (spxe.exe), I wrote him and explained that I sometimes do ornamental ironwork and wondered if he could create a program that would generate the typical scroll shapes used in ornamental ironwork. He surprised me by creating a library of shapes for me that can be used in designing gates, fences, sign holders, planters and the like.

These shapes are timeless and have universal design application. I use them to prototype designs and calculate the lengths of material needed for fabrication but you can use them for illustration purposes so I'm posting the library for all Xara users.

They will save you much time and provide a valuable addition to your collection of design tools. You can bevel the scrolls, apply brush strokes to them and apply contours and moulds to create an endless variety of designs.

The file is called ironlib.zip. Create a directory under Xara, unzip the library and then add the .xar files to your clipart gallery for drag and drop.

Get it here...
    http://www.geocities.com/dogthief_texas/

What a great idea DogThief! Thank you for sharing these fabulous shapes. For those of you who like to keep your shapes in ONE file I have added them all to one XAR file.

-Ed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dmitry is doing fantastic stuff for us all at the momment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1a_background_attribute2.gif 
Views:	393 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	4742  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OklaEd:
    What a great idea DogThief! Thank you for sharing these fabulous shapes. For those of you who like to keep your shapes in ONE file I have added them all to one XAR file.

-Ed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dmitry deserves all the credit. I just told him what I wished I had and he made it come true. Was kinda like having a software genie.

Anyway, I have posted three .jpg files to my GeoCities site showing what is possible with Dmitry's Iron Library. GeoCities does not allow me to use their site as a graphics server which explains why I have no avatar. If you think the images have some value, feel free to download them and repost them to your server. The file names are self-explanatory.

Richard

I hope I didn't imply that I was ignoring Dmitry's genius in all of this ... his contributions have always been amazing and most appreciated.

I also appreciate you sharing these shapes with us Richard ... I try to do a little woodworking in my "spare" time, and these shapes will be very adaptable to that pursuit.

-Ed.

Nah. I didn't infer that at all. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that it was Dmitry who had created the shapes.

I started out as a 35mm photographer. Necessity turned me into a woodworker. I couldn't afford decent frames for my best shots so I taught myself how to make my own using a bench mounted router to make my own molding. That was many tools ago. Since then, have gotten into metalworking and leatherworking stopping along the way to try my hand at vinyl cutting.

These particular shapes really lend themselves to scroll saw and band saw work. If you've ever tried to work with plastic French curves for layout you'll really appreciate being able to enlarge these scrolls, print them out and then transfer the patterns to wood or other media using carbon paper or a perf wheel with powdered chalk. I'm fortunate enough to own a printer that will print up to 13x19 inches so I can create really large patterns in-house and not have to run to a copy shop to get drawings enlarged or have to use a pantograph.

I'm sure that they can also be converted to a file format that will allow them to be used with most CNC (computer numerically controlled) equipment such as routers, engraving machines, embroidery machines, plasma cutting torches and laser cutting equipment, provided that the manufacturer's software doesn't use a proprietary format. I know that I can use them with my vinyl plotter software by converting them to Adobe Illustrator files. But, for those who aren't into mechanized equipment, the patterns can also be printed out and used as templates for crafts such as needlework and rug hooking.

I'll be really interested to see what other uses people find for these shapes, especially non-print uses.

Richard

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Okay Richard,

you convinced me. I download the demitri's files and will have a look at them...

http://www.draginet.com/dragon.gif
    John/DOT
    John/DOT