Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've been using Xara happily for a while now for making web graphics. I'm now trying to do some print work with it. I know it must be eminently suitable for the job but there is this one aspect I just can't get my head around.
    Okay - file>new>A4 drawing. I select "portrait" from "page options" and slap some stuff on the page. I go to print, and get this "custom fit sideways" dialog - "page only partly printable" Why is that? I have told Xara that I want an A4 sheet. What part of that does it not understand? And THEN... I have to tell the printer (HP 720C) to print LANDSCAPE in order for it to print the page portrait as laid out on screen. Can anyone explain this? Surely I can't be the first person to have been baffled by this!
    Thanks

I've been using Xara happily for a while now for making web graphics. I'm now trying to do some print work with it. I know it must be eminently suitable for the job but there is this one aspect I just can't get my head around.
    Okay - file>new>A4 drawing. I select "portrait" from "page options" and slap some stuff on the page. I go to print, and get this "custom fit sideways" dialog - "page only partly printable" Why is that? I have told Xara that I want an A4 sheet. What part of that does it not understand? And THEN... I have to tell the printer (HP 720C) to print LANDSCAPE in order for it to print the page portrait as laid out on screen. Can anyone explain this? Surely I can't be the first person to have been baffled by this!
    Thanks

File -> Print -> Options

Only for the fun of IT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape.gif 
Views:	185 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	5982  
    Just for the fun of IT.

I often get the page only partly printable message when that's not actually the case...don't know why, but it is annoying.

This discussion from a while back may be useful.

Mickie

Right then. Just after I posted I found one of Gary's fine tuts that almost explained everything. Well, it explained how to set up to print, but it didn't explain why we have the option to tell the program that our printer feeds it's paper in sideways! Has any one ever owned a printer like that? Xara - nothing if not versatile!
    Cheers

James, it may be more applicable to plotters or printers which have a roll feed.

I almost always flip the orientation in the options menu the portrait figure. If you use the Show Print Borders in the Windows' menu, it will display "incorrectly".

I'm not sure why the other (landscape) way is the system default.

XARA SUPPORT, if you are reading this thread, could you give us a technical reason please.