Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Linking a line of text as one link vs each word appearing as independent links

I'm a newbie and not a programmer or coder whatsoever - so a true WYSIWYG user of Xara in Colorado USA. I am building a website and pages from scratch and have about 5 pages nearing completion. I'm building links now. I have a list of text lines on my home page. I need to leave these as text for SEO keyword purposes. The text is on the front layer with nothing in front of it. Each line of text is its own independent text block and there are no wrapped words - every item is on one single line (no wrapped text on separate lines).

I have the highlight color set to yellow when I mouse over the link choices. I've tried choosing the text lines by individually highlighting each line of text (all words in the single line chosen), I've tried choosing one complete line with the arrow (block of text), and yet I get the same result when I create a link and then preview the site and hover over the link I've created: Each word highlights individually and acts as it's own individual link.

More confusing is that another shorter line of text does NOT act this way and does highlight as one single block of text when I hover over it. I've checked all settings and the settings are identical for each line of text - yet I get the two different hover-over results. I don't want users thinking there is a separate link for each word in a line of text:

3PL Shipping (this text link is fine and when I hover over, it acts as one single block of text)

None of the lines of text below (all with identical settings as 3PL Shipping) can be set to appear as one single link.

Logistics & Transportation
    Hot Shot Trucking
    Freight Quotes

With out using duct tape and superglue, what is the fix for this?

Thanks - Steve

Default Re: Linking a line of text as one link vs each word appearing as independent links

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I moved your thread to the Xara Web Design Chat.

Can you post a link to a site or upload your .web file or post a screen capture of what you are describing?

Default Re: Linking a line of text as one link vs each word appearing as independent links

See attached image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knight Flight.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	107448  

Attached shows link 3PL Shipping link working properly (two words as one single link)

Lower image shows link with each word in the line of text as it's own individual link. All settings checks to be identical for both.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knight Flight 1 & 2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	107449

Have you selected the text with the Selector Tool or with the Text Tool: each provides a different effect?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yeah that is weird.

However, if you group the text with itself or with a button shape, which makes the text export as a bitmap, Xara adds the text to the Alt: tag area of the HTML so it is still visible to search engines. (See attached)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	html.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	107450  

Hi Acorn - yes I tried both the selector tool and text tool - same outcome.

I grouped the text only, then tried grouping the yellow graphic arrow in front of the text with text. The link works fine that way but when grouped either way, the text does not change color on mouse over - which defeats the purpose of letting someone know it's a link. Maybe there's something I'm missing but a little frustrated by it. Can't see anything inconsistent why one line of text would highlight all as one single link when mouse over - and yet another line of text highlights each individual word as a separate link. Used both selector tool and text tool.

Best way to get an answer is to attach your web file or the page that's causing the problem.

If you group text with a shape Xara exports it as a bitnap, so obviously the mouse-over / off / visited states won't work as it's no longer text.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Iv'e just experienced the same issue. However mine is created because it's a pdf import.... Was yours?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host