Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: page dimensions

Hi,
    some time ago there was a post abot web page sizes but I can't seem to finde it.
    what I am intersted in is the size to set XaaX for the inner-dimensions of a 1024X768 web page?
    thanks
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Hi,
    some time ago there was a post abot web page sizes but I can't seem to finde it.
    what I am intersted in is the size to set XaaX for the inner-dimensions of a 1024X768 web page?
    thanks
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Your best bet is to set your page up in pixels.

Right click on the page and select Page Options...

In the Units tabbed section select 0-255 for color units and in the Grid and Ruler section, set the Major Spacing amount to 100pix (key it in exactly like this) and the Number of Subdivisions to 10.

In the Page tabbed section, select Custom from the Page Size drop down list and set the width to 1024pix and the height to 768pix.

Press OK to apply the changes.

If you plan to use this setting a lot, save the page setup as a template (File > Save Template...) Give your template an appropriate name (for example Web Page) and save the template.

To use this template, go to File > New... and select your template from the fly out menu of templates.

Save the template in the Xara Templates folder so Xara (and you) know where to find it :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Click to make The Xara Xone #1

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

Further to what Gary has said above, remember that browser 'furniture'i.e. button bars, address bars, status bars as wll as scroll bars will also cut in to to overall 1024 x 768 screen 'real estate'. For example if I'm creating a template for an 800 x 600 screen resolution (still the predominant screen resolution) web page I set up the work area as 760 x 470 pixel area to take this furniture into account.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,I wish to thank Gary and Egg Bramhill for there response.
    The answer was exactly what I was looking for. I had the template file on my old computer but when I upgraded I forgot to back my second HD up which stored my templates and stuff now I have to receate them.
    Again
    Thanks for the response.
    Jim

Great to be able to assist. I use a 1600 x 1200 pixel screen resolution screen so it's often difficult to imagine how a web site will look on an 800 x 600 resolution screen. The greatest problem is that any higher screen resolution above 800 x 600 pixels actually uses less screen real estate for furniture than an 800 x 600 resolution. ie it's not proportional to the screen resolution. So I use a wall paper consisting of the outlines of the various screen resolutions, ie 640 x 480 (which I ingnore) 800 x 600 & 1024 x 768. It's then quite simple to resize the browser window to these wallpaper dimensions and see the window real estate for the different resolutions.
    I attach a (reduced) screen grab of my wallpaper. Notice how the furniture and the 'header' section take up the same amount of screen real estate in each screen resolution, but the there is a greater %age of screen real estate for the 'body' as the resolution increases
    Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on March 13, 2003 at 20:47.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resolution.gif 
Views:	253 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	6315  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

.... is a little utility I was pointed at many years ago, at an Internet Seminar, called Browsersizer. It works with Netscape, Mozilla and Internet Explorer and works by simply selecting one of three different screen resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768) or Web TV. Its available at www.applythis.com. Could be worth checking out.

Tracey