Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a Logo!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Odd only one person in this thread seems to feel his time and talent is not worth anything and it is alright to give it away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, there are many young and non-professional artists here. I wonder if they should be expected to know about professional ethics.

I don't think there is something like proffesional ethics... I would rather call it: rules of the jungle... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't think there is something like proffesional ethics... I would rather call it: rules of the jungle... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, Roman.

But more than that, you have to take pride in what you do and value your time.

Robert, you mentioned you want to start a consultancy business. And your wife, who now a very professional looking logo is planning to market her jury selection software.

How much business are you going to get or how much software is your wife going to sell, if people who do not value their time and skill, give away what you are trying to sell?

I'm not being mercinary, I'm being realistic. If you do not value your time and skills, no one else will either.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    burl me to beehives</a>

"I don't understand why every time someone wants help with a logo they are guilt tripped into paying someone.
    If you don't want to help for free, don't help. It is as simple as that."

You know I've seen the Graphic Design industry devalued a lot since I've been in the field starting in 84'. Partially because everyone knows someone with some software like Quark or even Microsoft Publisher or something that go around telling people that they can design or whatever. And everyone has a friend or a relative that is willing to work for practically nothing because they own the software and think they can do it. Unfortunately it hurts the real professionals in the industry because although the difference between the work of an amatuer and a pro may be significant, people are willing to settle for less when something is free. Since we can't really stop anyone from doing something for free if they want all I can say is that if you do stuff for free it does devalue the market in many insidious ways, like if there are a lot of people willing to work for free or very little, the professionals as a whole will have to lower their prices to compete. That is just my opinion on the matter.

s.g.

As we used to say in the 70s and early 80s.

Great observations SG.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

he tub mob relieves</a>

Thanks to all the people who were willing to help me and screw the rest! I am a graphic designer myself and that's why I chose to get in the fashion industry. I finally came up with my logo and it's good to know that greed is the root of all evil.

[This message was edited by Bang on August 24, 2001 at 13:39.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ovas.gif 
Views:	400 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	2937  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thanks to all the people who were willing to help me and screw the rest! I am a graphic designer myself and that's why I chose to get in the fashion industry. I finally came up with my logo and it's good to know that greed is the root of all evil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bang. I don't feel so bad now.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

he tub mob relieves</a>

Oh, what is that you say?... You want something worth $3,000 for FREE you say?... Why I'll be happy to, What, screw me, why how could you say such a thing, I had a great idea too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I hope you're willing to take some helpfull advice seeing as there is no chance of you getting a logo around here

To start I'd change the font and color completely. Your logo looks like a Zero on the back of a local highschool football player's jersey. Unless you're selling sports jerseys in which case it's perfect

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

You could have got more Bang - for your buck.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Bang! as a self-professed graphic designer surely you can't be surprised by the attitudes of other designers here about free help to a for-profit enterprise. It is not greed on their part. It would seem from your last post you indeed wanted others to spend their time to help you without any intention of paying for their input. Who is greedy here - them or you?? Reread the posts and please recognize that you personally were not being criticised but the idea of free work to strangers (who intend to profit from the work) was. Your last post suggests clearly you are insensitive to the seriousness many give to their creative efforts. Why in hell should anyone want to have assisted you if that last post is representative of your lack of respect for others opinions. I fell sorry now for Rgremill and Eric, in particular, who tried hard to give your request the benefit of the doubt. Do you think you deserved their support and sharing ways??

This forum is very fortunate to appeal to a wide variety of xara users. Many of us are not graphics professionals. We appreciate and learn from the pros that are willing to hang out and share with us - such sharing is rare and most of us treasure it. Threads like this help us understand that some make their very living by the creative faculties that others of us just exercise for fun. We all turn to this forum for fun, intellectual stimulation, and friendship. In the future I hope you will do the same instead of looking for something for nothing.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>