Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a Logo!

I'd have to agree with Gary, Borlip, and Eky. If it is for a profit organization I definentally think a logo-designer should be paid. And people willing to do it for free, yea sure it's nice, but it puts 100's more people out of a potential client which could be their only means of money, so it is kind of unfair.

Bang, your profile says you're a web developer and graphic designer so show us what you have in mind and we'll help you along with it, but I don't think it would be right for one of us to design it for free.

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

... fascination bordering on disgust - that anyone would give away their time and ideas to a total stranger that will profit off of it. To me it shows total lack of respect for what you do and who you are... yuck!

There are plenty of non-profit organizations where you can make a difference and your grandma must need new labels for her jars of jam, no?

My 2 cents (Canadian)

Risto

It is my philosophy that: giver's get.

If you don't want to help someone out with a logo then ignore the logo threads.

Another cute little flaming thread.

Bang, it's your first post ever in this forum and wow immediately asking for a service.

Okay I'll try to be helpful. Go to elance.com. Fact is that on elance you can get your logo done at a minimum expense if you select some of biders which "WILL DO YOU FOR TWO DOLLARS(TM)".

I have done a lot of free work for NPOs or for individuals , but if they have a business I usually do ask for some payment. Maybe not a lot , but if they are using it for profit , they should be able to pay you something for it. I am sure that someone could help Bang if we got a little more information.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I am one more to design for a living.
    And I second everything Gary said.

To post a design and ask for help or critique is one thing. And I am always willing to do this (in this forum).

To come along and ask strangers to "do it" is something completely different.

Upon second reading, I do not find Bang's post to be overly rude or commanding.
    I just believe, that one should give a bit to ask something in return. Like a scribble of his own or something. It's not very polite to ask for a free logo in the first post.

I really enjoy the "Pigshelter Logo" thread and I would love to donate a logo of my own. Unfortunately I did not have 'the' idea yet and most of the current proposals are simply great!

rgremill,
    it's OK if you want to help Bang for free, just like Eric did. Please understand though that other guys here have to pay their bills by designing logos, webpages and the like.

Logodesign at my company usually starts at USD 2.000,- and I see no reason to charge my customers for it but give it away to strangers for free.

However, no insult to anybody.

Wolfgang

I am starting to think this place needs a logo forum, a place where small entrepreneurs with little capital can collaborate on logo designs.

Yea, I just found out the company my Mom works for (she's not an artist, but does a little bit of everything else!) charges at least 2,500-4,000. That's almost a sin to take that away from an artist.

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

I have always wondered how much it costs to get a logo designed, and then how does the selection process go?

I wouldn't mind paying that kind of money for something I would consider a super logo, but if I didn't like it, would I have to pay for it?

What if I came in with just a basic design and had an artist spiff it up a bit? Also, does the artist copyright it? That is, do I have to pay the artist everytime I wanted to change my sign, my letterhead, my cards, etc?

Also, what if the business is cash poor(hey, they all are to start with), will the artist take installment payments?

Actually, I have worked for many small business but, come to think of it, I have never run across any payments for logos. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/deltaplate.gif

Odd only one person in this thread seems to feel his time and talent is not worth anything and it is alright to give it away.

Ms. Moon-- Prices for logos vary. As Roman has pointed out, you can get a logo design for $2.00. Then as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

When I design a logo for a client, I base my fee upon the size of the company and how the logo will be used. The design process is collaborative with input and feedback from the client part of the design process. I promise 3-6 designs from which the client may pick one for further revisions, but I usually give more. For a project I just completed for an apparell company in Jacksonville, Florida, I presented 9 designs. My basic rule is never present a design you would not be proud to say is your own, because inevitably, it is the one the client will pick :-o

I request one half of the design fee up front and the second half payment due upon acceptance of the final design. If the client does not like what I have come up with, I keep the first half of the fee as a "kill fee" for my time and effort, and there is no further charge. This is pretty standard in the business.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    burl me to beehives</A>

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on August 23, 2001 at 09:05.]