Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maybe not all feasible for you... but I think you get the idea... (brainstorming...)

And feel free to add you own ideas to the list.

Ok, the reason for this thread - I'm paranoid! Nah, perhaps not... but it really gets to me when I see posts here at TG by "businesses" having "logo competitions" (without any published rules, criteria and guarantees.) "Businesses" looking for free logo designs (as they can't afford to pay anyone anything at the time...) but you do get credit for your own design...

Here is another favorite: I need a logo design, I can't pay you for this one, but if we chose yours, we'll consider you for the next job... Or - we are having a logo competition (with a prize to be determined - if we like one of the designs.)

I do find it odd that Xara endorses these kinds of ads, especially with a specially designated forum... Or any ads of similar nature, actually!

So, instead of wasting time on businesses that don't want to pay you anything, or on competitions that don't have any prizes... or rewards (monetary or the "satisfaction of having accomplished something worthwhile") ---

Here is my completely free advice, which could result in paying projects - but even if it doesn't, you will get free advertising, you will help humankind, you will feel great about yourself - and you will sleep really well at night! And they are more productive than anonymous (and free) transactions with a hotmail account on the web, if you put some effort into it. This I guarantee you!

(1) There are a thousands of non-profit organizations out there, who need help with logos, flyers, posters, letterheads, illustrations, websites etc. etc. etc. Just give them a call! This is a great way to get things in your portfolio, and to get your work seen. Volunteer/non-profit organizations have people from a wide variety of backgrounds; some are business owners, some work for larger organizations... Here’s a shocker --- Business owners often know other business owners!

Hey, even if the non-profit work didn’t lead you to a paying one, you will feel good about having helped autistic kids to learn their numbers with your flash card designs, or to save a great park with your poster designs, or to make a school, hospital, clinic a bit more colorful with your brushes and paints etc.

(2) Listen to the radio/tv! There are a lot of local fundraisers that get great attention – why not volunteer your talents to a great cause – and maybe get some great attention for your talents as well?

(3) Schools always need help with something – you help your kids, or kids in general (directly or indirectly)… and you could get your work seen by all the parents in that school (or all schools in the city) – which some are business owners etc. etc. etc.

(4) Churches have a lot of members of a wide variety of backgrounds… You can be rewarded on many levels (perhaps even from the HIGHEST level... )

(5) Trade shows etc. can get hundreds of thousands of visitors... Some of them allow a few non-profit organizations to plug their cause – help them and you get your work seen by A LOT of business owners and individuals. If nothing else, you helped a great cause – in my book it beats helping strangers making money for them selves using your sweat and talent.

(6) Amateur - sports clubs, theater companies, public television/radio etc. are seen by a lot of people.

(7) Some organizations have "offices" and "display windows" in places where hundreds of thousands of people pass by every year.

(8) Your local super mall at Christmas time gets visited by a lot of people – and most allow for few non-profit organizations to raise funds – and to be seen.

(9) Instead of spending time creating free designs for someone who will make money off of them (in one form or another) – create free designs and give them to everyone who wants them, on a website. This way you at least get to be seen by more than just one individual... and you can plug your services as you see fit, and give yourself any credit you wish. Do be careful with what you chose to give away though... No use giving away something that you might be able to sell, if the right individual stumbles onto your site.

(10) Organizations, schools etc. are always looking for raffle prizes – why not donate a service - a design, poster, print, website design... etc. etc. etc?

(11) Nothing wrong with helping a friend.

My main point: There are better ways to spend your time than an anonymous (and free) transaction with a hotmail account.

Don’t underestimate "word-of-mouth." It can be much easier to build up contacts locally (and through friends and family), as not only do you get to sell your services, but yourself as well, in person. The more contacts you have, the more leads you will get... You can get your leads in the most unexpected places... and they could take you places you never expected.

Anyway, my coffee rush is over.
    IP

Maybe not all feasible for you... but I think you get the idea... (brainstorming...)

And feel free to add you own ideas to the list.

Ok, the reason for this thread - I'm paranoid! Nah, perhaps not... but it really gets to me when I see posts here at TG by "businesses" having "logo competitions" (without any published rules, criteria and guarantees.) "Businesses" looking for free logo designs (as they can't afford to pay anyone anything at the time...) but you do get credit for your own design...

Here is another favorite: I need a logo design, I can't pay you for this one, but if we chose yours, we'll consider you for the next job... Or - we are having a logo competition (with a prize to be determined - if we like one of the designs.)

I do find it odd that Xara endorses these kinds of ads, especially with a specially designated forum... Or any ads of similar nature, actually!

So, instead of wasting time on businesses that don't want to pay you anything, or on competitions that don't have any prizes... or rewards (monetary or the "satisfaction of having accomplished something worthwhile") ---

Here is my completely free advice, which could result in paying projects - but even if it doesn't, you will get free advertising, you will help humankind, you will feel great about yourself - and you will sleep really well at night! And they are more productive than anonymous (and free) transactions with a hotmail account on the web, if you put some effort into it. This I guarantee you!

(1) There are a thousands of non-profit organizations out there, who need help with logos, flyers, posters, letterheads, illustrations, websites etc. etc. etc. Just give them a call! This is a great way to get things in your portfolio, and to get your work seen. Volunteer/non-profit organizations have people from a wide variety of backgrounds; some are business owners, some work for larger organizations... Here’s a shocker --- Business owners often know other business owners!

Hey, even if the non-profit work didn’t lead you to a paying one, you will feel good about having helped autistic kids to learn their numbers with your flash card designs, or to save a great park with your poster designs, or to make a school, hospital, clinic a bit more colorful with your brushes and paints etc.

(2) Listen to the radio/tv! There are a lot of local fundraisers that get great attention – why not volunteer your talents to a great cause – and maybe get some great attention for your talents as well?

(3) Schools always need help with something – you help your kids, or kids in general (directly or indirectly)… and you could get your work seen by all the parents in that school (or all schools in the city) – which some are business owners etc. etc. etc.

(4) Churches have a lot of members of a wide variety of backgrounds… You can be rewarded on many levels (perhaps even from the HIGHEST level... )

(5) Trade shows etc. can get hundreds of thousands of visitors... Some of them allow a few non-profit organizations to plug their cause – help them and you get your work seen by A LOT of business owners and individuals. If nothing else, you helped a great cause – in my book it beats helping strangers making money for them selves using your sweat and talent.

(6) Amateur - sports clubs, theater companies, public television/radio etc. are seen by a lot of people.

(7) Some organizations have "offices" and "display windows" in places where hundreds of thousands of people pass by every year.

(8) Your local super mall at Christmas time gets visited by a lot of people – and most allow for few non-profit organizations to raise funds – and to be seen.

(9) Instead of spending time creating free designs for someone who will make money off of them (in one form or another) – create free designs and give them to everyone who wants them, on a website. This way you at least get to be seen by more than just one individual... and you can plug your services as you see fit, and give yourself any credit you wish. Do be careful with what you chose to give away though... No use giving away something that you might be able to sell, if the right individual stumbles onto your site.

(10) Organizations, schools etc. are always looking for raffle prizes – why not donate a service - a design, poster, print, website design... etc. etc. etc?

(11) Nothing wrong with helping a friend.

My main point: There are better ways to spend your time than an anonymous (and free) transaction with a hotmail account.

Don’t underestimate "word-of-mouth." It can be much easier to build up contacts locally (and through friends and family), as not only do you get to sell your services, but yourself as well, in person. The more contacts you have, the more leads you will get... You can get your leads in the most unexpected places... and they could take you places you never expected.

Anyway, my coffee rush is over.
    IP

Good advice, nice coffee rush
    IP

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

Right on Risto!

A few things I'd like to add onto your idea pile... Look around to see if you have a local computer user group in your area. They are ALWAYS in need of volunteers with technical skills of all kinds. Very often, you will get free publicity out if in some form too. Plus, you'll be able to talk to, and answer questions for those from ALL walks of life in a neutral forum. You never know where such things may lead.
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do find it odd that Xara endorses these kinds of ads, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, when/where did you hear about this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> especially with a specially designated forum... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which forum are you refering to?

If you happen upon an unauthorized contest/competition offer in this forum and you choose to post a reply, chances are very likely that your reply will be deleted along with the entire contest and or competition topic.

best regards,
    Moderator at large.
    IP

Mike:

Q: Which forum?
    This one... It's right in the title now: If you're offering a project, or seeking work, this is the place.

This is an open invitation for the types of posts I mentioned. (IMHO) Granted, over the years, they haven't only been posted here.

"Endorsing" was a bad choice of words: "Encouraging" is probably better (through title of the forum.) And by the fact that many have been left to be (But that is only my own personal preference... as I stated in the beginning of the thread.)

The last one in here was removed though - I thank you for that, Mike... (Again, thanks from from a personal point of view... )

Q: Where did I hear about it?
    By seeing manu of those posts stay (and making an ass out of myself replying to them... ) - it is an encouragement to others.

The really, really, really bad ones - I have let sit for a day or two, and then emailing a moderator directly, to remove them - which he has.

As I said, from a personal point of view, I think it's odd that TG (Which is Xara) wants to act as some sort of job agency...
    IP

Oh, I forgot to add: If it's a new policy to delete those type of posts! We'll - thumbs up, and great work!
    IP

Hi Risto, that title is something new that was installed a few months ago. I don't think it was ment to encourage con artistry, I do keep an eye on this forum since I am the only moderator left out of the original bunch. The purpose of this freelance forum when it was on Chris Dickmans Corel net, it was a place for people who practiced freelancing (Freelancers) to conduct discussions related to the business of freelancing, it was a happening forum at one time, one could pretty much discuss anything. Well as the forum changed over the years, from Corel net to I-US to Talkgraphics,
    (we almost lost it when EYEWIRE on pulled the plug on I-US, then Xara LTD. saved the whole thing.) well the freelance forum kinda died. For a while the only post here were con artist promoting contest, I deleted them on a daily basis for some time, I also posted a notice that stated, Anyone whom wishes to sponsor a contest can contact Xara LTD. and ask for permission and a designated area to conduct such business. I have yet been authorized by Xara LTD to allow a contest to be held in this Forum. Nor have I been instructed to remove them but I feel pretty much the same as you do about the matter. It can be challenging trying to sort out what should stay and what should be removed. Folks like yourself usually help with the decision, so thanks and enjoy.
    IP

Mike,

Well, those goofy posts that I referred to haven't just been posted here. Actually, they have been more frequent on the other boards (as they are more visited), over the years. There is another one a couple of posts down from this one, "Bike Logo..." However, Ed was more graceful about the post than I would have been.

I do realize that I'm probably in the minority of the members that go bonkers ( ) with those types of posts... but hey, I'm ok with that... and I do get to express my opinion about them, without being slugged - so, I'm happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Mike: It can be challenging trying to sort out what should stay and what should be removed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- Perhaps... (As with the Bike Logo thread?) TG has an Admin that is more involved now, so I'm sure he and all you moderators will figure out some policies to make all moderating duties easier.

As to being able to discuss anything in this forum - well, my coffee rush post is a great start them?

Mike, thanks for clarifying.
    IP

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

Mike, Risto, etc.,

Such posts in forums like this ARE very common, as are the ones you get through your own website. (If you have one.) Just check out any one of the public newsgroups, if there's any doubt on that point! Not too many here, which is why I try to get back here when I can.

In reviewing things over the past couple of days, I can't believe I'm still seeing the same sort of discussions on the SAME things over and over again. How do I set prices, copyright issues, etc.

Think I'm going to make a suggestion over in the area we now have to discuss matters connected to the forum and suggest an FAQ area on so many of these topics. Someplace were we can create one topic for each one of these points, and allow everyone to toss their 2 cents in on the pile. Would add up to some great wealth for new designers/freelancers in no time!
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet
    IP