Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Does Photo and Graphic Designer 10 support layered jpeg images?

I am working in a program called DAZ3D and I am designing a 3d model based on the creepy little girl character from the F.E.A.R. video game. In this program I can import textures to use for clothing and what not. I was given a grungy texture to add to the characters clothing and they recommended using photoshop to separate the layered image. Since I use Xara I opened the image in that and tried extracting the layers but according the layered pane it only has one layer. Is there something else I can do to get the layers separated or is this not possible in Xara?

Here is the texture I am talking about:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grungelinen.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	107210

Default Re: Does Photo and Graphic Designer 10 support layered jpeg images?

Jpeg images do not support layers to the best of my knowledge.

might be in multi picture format which contains two jpeg format images; originally intended for stereoscopic work but I guess useful for texture too perhaps

these can have either .MPO or .JPG extensions

the only other possibility I can think of is if it was a fireworks file - fireworks produced layered PNG, not sure about JPEG

technically 'JPEG' is the compression stream not the file container format, so I guess you could write a layered spec if you really wanted too...

edit - just found this: http://fileformats.archiveteam.org/w...Picture_Format - which implies MPO can have more than two images within it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    might be in multi picture format which contains two jpeg format images; originally intended for stereoscopic work but I guess useful for texture too perhaps

these can have either .MPO or .JPG extensions

the only other possibility I can think of is if it was a fireworks file - fireworks produced layered PNG, not sure about JPEG

technically 'JPEG' is the compression stream not the file container format, so I guess you could write a layered spec if you really wanted too...

edit - just found this: http://fileformats.archiveteam.org/w...Picture_Format - which implies MPO can have more than two images within it
    Might be so...but this image, even in PS, is a single layer. Now, that may be due tot he forum software itself changing it. In which case the as provided image should be ZIPped and attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003132.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	107212  

yeh - If photoshop was recommended then I'm inclined to think its a mistake somewhere; my PS doesn't do this sort of thing either
    Nothing lasts forever...

is the original file a jpeg madmax?
    Nothing lasts forever...

No, it's my bad. The person who posted the comment about layers was not talking about that texture but referring to a link in the sites shop for a product.

no problem; thanks for letting us know
    Nothing lasts forever...