Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which file format for exchange with professionals

No it's not in photo and graphic designer

if you want to 'work with pro's' you would at least be using the pro version of xara

and if Mike says PDFX/4 is the best PDF format, and xara does not have it, fair enough

me, I have no problems using raster, be it PSD or TIFF
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Of the Pdf types, the reason PDF/X-4 is the current best is, among other reasons, live tranparency and the ability to contain more than one color space.

When it comes down to it, PDFs are simply not an exchange format. But when used as one, PDF/X-4 is the better choice whether it will be exchanged with AI or PS.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you want to 'work with pro's' you would at least be using the pro version of xara
    Not necessary at all, because what we enthusiast hobbyists can draw up with Xara's consumer versions, the pros can't do even with their "pro" softwares, during their hectic low-paid 9-5 schedule. My regular experience.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    me, I have no problems using raster, be it PSD or TIFF
    Lots of fun if you get raster and then need to alter details like shadow, text, line width, resolution etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David.P View Post
    Not necessary at all, because what we enthusiast hobbyists can draw up with Xara's consumer versions, the pros can't do even with their "pro" softwares, during their hectic low-paid 9-5 schedule. My regular experience.
    oh right.. different to mine...

Lots of fun if you get raster and then need to alter details like shadow, text, line width, resolution etc.
    which is why you keep the source files; why you use the software that is best for the job which is as much about compatibility as it is about notional speed of use - just about any professional software can be used fast if you've bothered to learn how to use it properly

hectic - yes
    low paid - depends on the job
    9-5 - you're joking, right?
    Nothing lasts forever...

See, there's that attitude again.

There is nothing XDP can do that cannot be done in other applications. The reverse is not true.

Geez. I get crankier by the day. Have fun being the professional amongst the "professionals" using consumer-grade hobbyist software while, in their ignorance, they use their "professional-grade" software.

Good luck.

Mike

Yeah! I've been doing graphics work and desktop publishing for nearly 30 years -- not because boss told me to, but because I loved it.

This is why with Paint.net, MS Visio, RealDraw Pro, Tracker PDF Editor, Micrografx or Xara Designer I can do stuff those 23yr-old girls in those fancy graphics offices not even have heard of

My very regular experience

The great thing with Xara is that, while performing magic, you can regularly make it look like it was child's play

Bye
    David
    Name:  cizk5kem2hlra0e0p.png
Views: 281
Size:  27.7 KB

so why are you only now investigating exchange formats ...?

@MIke - thanks for the info on the PDF/X4
    Nothing lasts forever...

...... basically only needed for Web (webdesigner needs my logo in editable vector format).
    Not sure why the web designer "NEEDS" "YOUR" design in editable vector format. Why can't they just add your design as a PNG into their web page?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi David,

Designer's most capable exporter is the PDF (PDF/X) exporter, in that it represents your vector data most faithfully. Most other software should be able to import PDF reliably these days.

Some objects and some attributes will still have to be converted to bitmaps in PDF and so, to give your "clients" the best chance to use those elements of the design without the pixels showing up, you can increase the "rasterization resolution" in the settings dialog.

If your design is particularly complex and your "clients" don't need the vector data then it may be more appropriate to export as PNG. Here again you can modify the resolution to help your clients and it may be appropriate to export as "true colour + alpha" to allow them to place the design over their own background. If that's the case then you need to know what that background is so that you can reduce aliasing where the opaque parts of your design become transparent.

I hope you continue to enjoy creating designs in Designer and that your clients appreciate your efforts!

Phil

Thanks everyone.

So I will continue, as I have done in the past, to deliver graphics in a zip file that contains *.svg, *.ai, *.pdf and *.png copies of the respective object.

In the three vector graphics files (*.svg, *.ai, *.pdf) I will try not to use soft things like drop shadows, edge blur and the like. These can be easily added back if needed in whatever graphics program the addressee uses.

Cheers David.P