Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which file format for exchange with professionals

Hi forum,

which file format is best if you need to export your Xara designs to "professionals" like print/web designers -- in case they still need to alter the exported graphics (using their clunky Adobe bloatwares).

I tried *.psd (yuck, seems to be bitmap only), *.svg (does not seem to handle soft things like shadows very well) and *.ai (not bad, but shadows get converted to bitmaps).

Is there any other recommended export workflow?

Thanks
    David.P

Default Re: Which file format for exchange with professionals

try PDF/X

you will need to check the advanced options in the export dialog - particularly if you want CMYK

possibly one of the print experts may be able to give more specific help

bear in mind somethings will get converted to bitmap whatever export you use as they are not vector supported
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK thanks -- at the moment the export is basically only needed for Web (webdesigner needs my logo in editable vector format). I guess I should remove shadows and simply give them *.svg, *.ai and *.pdf which should make them happy -- right?

Best advice? Loose the attitude re the software and the "professionals" thing.

Second best advice? Use the software being used by the people you need to exchange with.

Third best advice? Don't use effects that are gong to get rasterized unless you really want them rasterized. Use the highest level of Adobe compatibility for the Xara software you are using, don't use any presets that flatten art (the PDF/X profiles flatten transparency).

Mike

I don't find PDF/X export, only normal PDF. Is PDF/X available in Photo & Graphic Designer 10?

Edit: Nope

Even if it were there, don't use PDF/X until such time as Xara gets around to support PDF/X-4 (and even then, properly).

So I stick with the
    Quote Originally Posted by David.P View Post
    *.svg, *.ai and *.pdf which should make them happy
    package?

Give them what they request.

They don't "request" things.

Remeber, they are pros, so they throw things together fast using whatever they have on hand, and then hope for immediate draft release without changes by the client

Then I kick in and push into them whatever I know they will need to make the design work (and look good).

I have never been involved in a collaborative effort where I had not been asked to supply assets in a given format.

AI and PSD are the most requested formats I receive for assets used by others. Only exception is screen printing where the most requested format I receive is CorelDraw. I have never been asked for SVG files.