Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licence Plate

Default Licence Plate

I can't find the thread, I thought it was in the 3D forum but it was how to create a colorado licence plate. I had a go in XD ProX and here's the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	number-plate.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	107082  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Licence Plate

I like it a lot, egg.

I hate the size of these preview pics! I (fortunately) was prompted to check out the full-size version and was amazed and rewarded by all the embossing work on the plate.

Well done, Sir.

—g

OT: Thumbnails can easily be disabled in the Admin cpl, alternatively the thumbnail size could be increased.
    Cheers

Egg, here is a link to the thread your looking for. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...709#post525709

Egg - I don't think Colorado or any of the states would use that font. Usually something sans serif and slightly condensed, especially for New York, California and Texas where they have 7 characters.

Beautifully done Egg. I see Mike provided you with the link to the thread.
    @ Mike thank you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I don't like to say, "Oh, no, you're wrong", Gary, especially because that role has already been taken for years on tg (!), but as far back as my learner's permit, New York State has used what might be loosely called a condensed sans serif similar to Lucida or Helvetica, and a serif face, that has gone from Tiffany to other serifs over the years. But your point is a good one for verisimilitude—Egg might want to quickly Google a license plate or whatever in the future, as we Yanks are as in the dark about British iconic detail work, as Brits are about ours. I thought a "pence" was a truck rental until six months ago.*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	107094

Stupid, but True: Back in 1994, the Auburn State Prison, a maximum detention facility about a hour's drive from here, paid me to teach the administrators and prisoners serving "light time" to use CorelDRAW to design custom NYS license plates, "vanity plates", you know? This was because 1.) This is what you do when you're not in a cell in Auburn Penitentiary, and 2.) Corel Corp. had the drivers to emboss metal plates. Corel specializes in bizarre, vertical market print drivers.

Now, before someone says, "Gare, why did they let you out?", they almost didn't. I have had Titanium hip joint replacements for more than 20 years, and believe me they set off the metal detectors, and even after emptying my pockets, the guards were at a loss as to why I seemed to be the Bionic Man.

-g

* It's "Penske", part of Hertz Rentals, lame joke, I know.

Very nice Eric!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Thanks for the link Mike. I wasn't overly worried re the font. I've no idea if all states use the same font or not. It was more a challenge to get the embossed plate effect I was after. In the UK there is a single font for all plates, with exact sizing dimensions etc, which these days are mainly for vehicle identification cameras. Don't know how this works for US state plates?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

In the UK there is a single font for all plates

If only the boy racers knew that..