Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbee Needs Quick Explanation if Possible Regarding Viewing

Hi

Just started working with Designer Pro X10 and going to be using same for Print Work more so than the web.

I was wondering if there's any quick way while designing to VIEW just the page within its dimensions and not
    the other background or other extended graphics going into the bleed area.

Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly so please bearwith. Basically have a layout that will print say 9 x 6
    with a bleed. I extend my bg and other things into the bleed but what I'm looking at ISN'T of course what will be the final image.
    However, I'm finding it a bit difficult to arrange (centering especially) "visually" if you know what I mean.

With that said, is there a view that I can access or toggle that will ONLY show my layout that would show what
    it would look like without bleed area?

Sorry for the redundancy but its been a very long day.

Most grateful for any help whatsoever.

OH...one more question.

I just purchased DP10 and XARA's sending a manual.
    Is that a large, easy to read manual or should I have
    the PDF printed out locally at a Kinkos type biz?

Again , thanks in advance for any thoughts and help!

Bob

Default Re: Newbee Needs Quick Explanation if Possible Regarding Viewing

Are you using the page size pasteboard to set everything up?
    The only thing I can think of is creating two rectangles, one with the bleed an one without, another thing you could try is setting the page size to 9 x 6 with a rectangle the size and location you require for the bleed and view it with your browser. That way everything that is not on the pasteboard will not show, may not print either so in the end you will have to increase the pasteboard size to match.
    That's all I can think of at the moment.

I wouldn't have the PDF manual printed unless you need the font larger. How large do you require? I don't think the Xara printed manual is that small and hard to read, even for me, so unless you have eye problems that require a large point size such as large print books which aren't all that large, you should be OK.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Are you using the page size pasteboard to set everything up?
    The only thing I can think of is creating two rectangles, one with the bleed an one without, another thing you could try is setting the page size to 9 x 6 with a rectangle the size and location you require for the bleed and view it with your browser. That way everything that is not on the pasteboard will not show, may not print either so in the end you will have to increase the pasteboard size to match.
    That's all I can think of at the moment.

I wouldn't have the PDF manual printed unless you need the font larger. How large do you require? I don't think the Xara printed manual is that small and hard to read, even for me, so unless you have eye problems that require a large point size such as large print books which aren't all that large, you should be OK.
    Larry....thanks for that.
    Sounds like a way to at least get an idea.
    As far as the PAGE SIZE pasteboard, I'm not quite sure of that jargon.
    Basically just going to page options and typing in dimensions etc.

Okay on manual...thanks for that. It must be pretty thick with 650 pages of info like PDF.

I'll wait to see if the text is okay before having printed. Just reading glasses... 1.5 power.

Best wishes to you!

Bob

Latest and best information I can think of.

1. Make your two rectangles one with a line large enough to hide the bleed or larger and the other no line. This second one with a line and no fill only serves as a mask to hide what you do not want to see. Select the back rectangle with no line and bring to front to make things easier, add what ever you need and now you can center individual elements, once you have what you want and centered the way you want group then select those and the rectangle and move it behind the lined one with no fill, do this until you are satisfied. When finished just delete the lined one which only served as a mask to hide the bleed.

2. OK forget 2(this one) now that I think of it, it was a bad idea.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

There is no "trim" view (called various things in various software) whereby the design is clipped to the page edge under that viewing condition. Though I have software that does this, I have never used it.

If I felt it was necessary, I would create a rectangle either at the page's edges, or at the bleed, send it to the back and select all (ctrl+a) and clip it (ctrl+q). Then undo when satisfied.

Mike

To see the positions of objects relative to page, you can turn view quality down to outline, make adjustments, then turn it up to full quality when you're done.

Phil

I use Larry's method with a rectangle, the same colour as the pasteboard, on a top layer; cut out to reveal the area I want to see [page or whatever] - show/hide this layer to mask/unmask

outline view for me is just confusing - all I see is a jumble of lines - but very useful if you work that way
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    outline view for me is just confusing - all I see is a jumble of lines - but very useful if you work that way
    I fully understand what you are saying. It can be confising and at the same time very useful.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

I was working along, minding my own business, when I had a thought about this. Yeah, thinking can be dangerous...

In the screen shot below, I added a layer at the top of a drawing's layers. Named it Rubylith for obvious reasons. On this layer, I created a rectangle larger than the page size and subtracted a rectangle that is the page size + bleed out of it. Set the transparency to 60%. Then locked the layer so the red rectangle cannot be selected and set it to never print.

I grabbed a newsletter out of the gallery and then moved one image off the page so as to replicate a bled image without clipping it, slicing it, etc. It can still be selected and moved, you can see the whole image. One could do the same without the transparency, but I would rather see items that extend off the page myself.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003077.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	107048

Good idea Mike. I like the Rubylith idea
    Larry a.k.a wizard509