Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default model train track planning

Is anyone aware of any vector drawings of model train track outlines to enable planning of layouts?

I am aware of dedicated SW but thought it would be an exercise to do in Xara instead.

I use Xara for producing all the drawings that I need basic layouts, tables, panels, wiring, set ups, flyers etc. but detailed planning is one item that is missing.

Peter

Default Re: model train track planning

I thought it might be a job for a custom brush and had a quick try and didn't like the results! That might be my fault as I don't like Xaras brushes so I don't use them. If I was doing them I would construct the standard straight section and save that to a predetermined scale, maybe 1/3, then do the same to a curve, save that, then points R/hand and L/hand and save them. Do the same for platforms and all the other objects that you would use in your track layout each saved as a separate file. Then in your layout drawing copy them in when required using your saved sections as a library.
    Design is thinking made visual.

if you're going for quick and basic rough layout just for demo purpose i made a square brush (transparent perimeter shown as yellow dashes just for this explanation) consisting of just one rectangular tie which yields a decent track and even closer yet, but never perfect, if you break it at the couple of points and tweak a little. granted i only spent about 20 minutes so it could be a bit more realistic but i whole-heartedly second @Albacore proposal; you'll get it to look exactly how you want it the way he suggests.

do you have a site somewhere or some examples showing your work? sounds pretty interesting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tracks_train.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	106927  

do you have a site somewhere or some examples showing your work? sounds pretty interesting [/QUOTE]

I have created a web site at http://tumutbranchline.com/

While its not posted in my fantasy map thread, I have created a dwarven mine map that featured ore cart tracks, with turn-around loops, maintenance facitlies, even an ore cart yard. I had a model train set as a kit, but I never got into enough to want to design track layouts - but I could see the attraction.

Interesting challenge Peter. I'd use a brush for the sleepers but NOT the track. Create your layout as a single stroke, ensuring that bends would be realistic for trains to go around. Copy to clipboard. Then apply the sleeper brush, space as required. Ctrl+Shift+V the line and give it a line width not so large as to overlay the sleepers. Convert line to shape. Give the shape no fill and a stroke to match the rails you require. Ctrl+Shift+V again, send to back and apply a ballast type brush.

Pull the attached xar apart to see what I'm on about.

Name:	rail-tracks.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	106935  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Interesting challenge Peter. I'd use a brush for the sleepers but NOT the track. Create your layout as a single stroke, ensuring that bends would be realistic for trains to go around. Copy to clipboard. Then apply the sleeper brush, space as required. Ctrl+Shift+V the line and give it a line width not so large as to overlay the sleepers. Convert line to shape. Give the shape no fill and a stroke to match the rails you require. Ctrl+Shift+V again, send to back and apply a ballast type brush.

Pull the attached xar apart to see what I'm on about.
    That's exactly how I created my trackways for my ore cart track mine map.

That's exactly how I created my trackways for my ore cart track mine map.
    Great minds think alike GP

Here's one based on one of PP layout. Sleeper are a broblem in some points area's though (see close-up) although this can be fixed in a rough manner by changing the sleeper lines to shapes and editable shapes then removing the areas where the sleepers overlay each other (see amended image)

Name:	rail-track-batlow.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	106946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail-track-batlow-close-up.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	106947  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail-track-batlow-close-up-amended.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	106948  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 April 2015 at 03:19 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for inputs.
    Peter