Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: DuotTone Album Cover

@Mwenz It's intended for 2 color spot color. I want to use a wild color for the highlights (almost neon) and refuse to let any black ink to touch my print.

I was inspired after going back through some of my famicom games and strategy guides/manuals and noticed there was, in the 80s, tons of really REALLY nice looking printed materials in 2 colors for almost all of it. My favorite and what inspired this in the first place was a strategy guide cover underneath the jacket (the old japanese strategy guides were about the size of a paperback, generally printed in 3 colors (no black, cyan generally replaced by darker blue) and had a jacket...underneath the jacket was a completely different book cover design in 2 colors (sometimes just 1)...anyway, the one that inspired me used a deep almost metallic blue (not reflective, but very..metal feeling) and neon green...it's very striking and I want to take advantage of mixing 2 custom colors in a print format....I think it's unique looking and half of your color making decisions are gone from the start...but easy to change at any time depending on the mood you want.

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    This cover looks great, the clothes of the girl seems having Xara fractal clouds fill so showing a little bit also the characteristic of the program
    I was going for a simple manga screen pattern and the fractal auto-patterns so it was a no-brainer to throw it in quickly for the result I wanted. But yeah, it definitely sorta gives that signature 'this is xara' vibe. lol

Your job as designed with the layest additions will not print two-color. And as designed by using named colors will cause complications without those additions. Upload a pdf and I'll demonstrate the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Your job as designed with the layest additions will not print two-color. And as designed by using named colors will cause complications without those additions. Upload a pdf and I'll demonstrate the issue.
    How do I export PDF? I'm using G&D.

No idea. I use XDP.

How exactly did you plan on having this printed? Separations using PostScript? Self-printed separations onto paper and having printing plates made from those?

I'm impressed.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Just looked on Xara's page for P&GD. There should be an Export selection under the File Menu. Choose PDF from the drop-down box in the Export dialog.

I found it. I missed it because I was looking for Adobe, not PDF. Doh!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Q...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks for the PDF.

First issue is that a font is not embedding properly. this could be due to the settings when making the PDF, but it could also be due to the permissions inside the font itself. I don't know if Xara products honor the embeddable flag of fonts or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003058.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	106950

Second issue is that the job will print in 4-color (CMYK).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003060.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	106951

I'll prepare a couple screen shots for how to export the PDF as regards your named colors...but they have to be changed to Pantone colors else you will need to clearly communicate with the printer that "MyNamedColor = Pantone XXXX C" for both of your named colors.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    How exactly did you plan on having this printed? Separations using PostScript? Self-printed separations onto paper and having printing plates made from those?
    I'd love a glossy poster at around 24x24 or as close as possible to something that size with 2 color in overprint, 2nd/backup would be a decent risograph on 11x17 ( hear most can handle that) and then I'd hand cut out the prints....and final choice, just a cheap-o business CMYK print at kikos and call it a day. I'd most prefer to use 2 custom spot colors.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I'm impressed.
    Thanks! Probably my longest xara project so far...creating all of those elements, editing other ones (there's a a tiny bit of edited free clip art in the palm trees)...I think I drained 60 hours or so in this one, including all of the re arrangements...i'd make a couple of elements, throw something together, tinker with it, get frustrated, pull it apart, make more elements, etc until i finally had something that worked okay...