Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: DuotTone Album Cover

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Thanks for the PDF.

First issue is that a font is not embedding properly. this could be due to the settings when making the PDF, but it could also be due to the permissions inside the font itself. I don't know if Xara products honor the embeddable flag of fonts or not.

Attachment 106950

Second issue is that the job will print in 4-color (CMYK).

Attachment 106951

I'll prepare a couple screen shots for how to export the PDF as regards your named colors...but they have to be changed to Pantone colors else you will need to clearly communicate with the printer that "MyNamedColor = Pantone XXXX C" for both of your named colors.

Mike
    Is it possible to control adobe's pdf settings to reduce colors? Or should I simply changed the named color so that it perfectly matches into the correct channels, leaving 2 channels to literally print nothing?

I'm not sure how best to handle this...would a printer accept two separate grayscale images?

For your PDF settings, I would change to the highest PDF Version Compatibility your version supports. In my case with XDP X9, that is Adobe Reader 8 (PDF 1.7). This can be seen in the screen shot below. Also note the highlighted setting for using Native in the Color Model drop-down.

In the second screen shot, a quickie test file I made for this, note the spot color MyBlueSpot. the printer has zero ide what Pantone color to use for that plate. Other than in the name it mentions "Blue" but that's about it. So at some point, you have to tell them what Pantone color to use for that plate. Which means you have to go through a Pantone Color Book and pick one. Which is far easier and better to do when designing in the first place. Note the other two spot colors. There is absolutely no ambiguity about what Pantone ink to use.

I tried putting the images in-line and the forum is not cooperating.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003061.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	106953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003062.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	106954  

For your PDF settings, I would change to the highest PDF Version Compatibility your version supports. In my case with XDP X9, that is Adobe Reader 8 (PDF 1.7). This can be seen in the screen shot below. Also note the highlighted setting for using Native in the Color Model drop-down.

In the second screen shot, a quickie test file I made for this, note the spot color MyBlueSpot. the printer has zero ide what Pantone color to use for that plate. Other than in the name it mentions "Blue" but that's about it. So at some point, you have to tell them what Pantone color to use for that plate. Which means you have to go through a Pantone Color Book and pick one. Which is far easier and better to do when designing in the first place. Note the other two spot colors. There is absolutely no ambiguity about what Pantone ink to use.

I tried putting the images in-line and the forum is not cooperating.

Mike
    I don't have those options in my program. I was planning on upgrading anyway just because I'm probably going to end up doing a couple more style guides before I leave school and the last one was a pain to do without any tools for universal page styles and all that.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out more about this. I've not dealt with a printer in this way before, so this has been most helpful.

You're welcome.

Just out of curiosity, how many pages do these style guides have?

You're welcome.

Just out of curiosity, how many pages do these style guides have?
    For school, they just need to cover the basics, but still, even just dealing with 12 pages is a chore. I had an issue where I had created the all the items showing logo usage and then after I showed the semi to the instructor, he changed his mind about the logo, so I had to go back and individually fix each one, which was a chore. On top of that, he had me change colors and when i did that, the layout I had kinda looked bad, so I had to change some of the common elements to work with the new color, so again, had to revisit every individual page.

I've used in design at school, so I know the benefits on working in a 'large document' environment with lots of resources that get reused, automation of things like page numbers and such...

Great looking art work, Hseiken.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]

Here's the final version. The tape case style was inspired by Coulmbia Cassettes from the early 80s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full_Size_Tape_Cover.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	107150