Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bitmaps, breaking up

Here's something I should have learned ages ago... but didn't. Suppose I have a list of handwritten names. I scan them in, they will always remain in bitmap form. How do I break them up into separate names? I understand that I must not save them to work on in JPG. How may I separate each name and treat them as if they were vectors?
    ---Thanx, Johncito5

Default Re: bitmaps, breaking up

Scanners always produce a bitmap, often TIFF or JPG.

You would need a good quality tracer such as VectorMagic to create editable vector shapes.

I read this as a vertical list of names.

You can separate each from the others by drawing a line (straight or curved) between two adjacent names that extends beyond the size of the sacn.
    Then using Combine Shapes > Slice (cut) Shapes, one is pared off from the others.

You can then use Set Contone Light Colour to blend in the background to the location you have set the name.
    I would add a small touch of feathering as well.

Each name can then be rotated, stretched and positioned as if a vector shape; clearly, its contents are still bitmap.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not posted in a Xara Software forum though, A.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    Steve, stupid of me. I briefly looked at the breadcrumb but only read the Graphics Chat and mistakenly prepended "Xara".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Member profile shows Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 8. I have moved the post.

Welcome to TalkGraphics Johncito5

How do you plan to use the names? Not on checks I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Member profile shows Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 8. I have moved the post.
    Yet you moved thread to Xara web design chat ??

Well I did try to determine how the signatures were going to be used.

No, no checks (what are those, anyway?). This is for a vertical list of 100 names (not signatures), in alphabetical order, to put on a certificate of appreciation.

Sounds like what I was looking for (but what's a sacn?). And need the bitmap be TIF, GIF, or what?>