Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

As you know, if you read through the my post..."Something else I would love to learn how to do" I am in the process of re-doing an old painting of mine. I posted a goblet that I did over in the Xara Gallery and wanted to create a design and bump map it (I think that's what I want to do) so that it has an engraved look to the design. I have created the design. I think it's perfect, paganish enough, and definetly scrolly enough.

Can anyone help me to figure out how to create this part of it??

In case anyone likes the design, it is 4 of the rights free designs, cut and redrawn, cloned, put together, grouped, add shapes, beveled, convert to editable shapes, ungrouped, then using the outlined 'beveled' part of the design applied one of Tony Roberts wonderful molds to it. Turned out really good. It was lots of fun creating it, no pun intended!!

Below is the goblet with the design applied so you can get an idea of what I am trying to convey. I know the thing should look like the metal, but recessed with all the shadows and hilights so it looks realistic.

Much appreciated.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goblet_with_Design_Small.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	3170  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

As you know, if you read through the my post..."Something else I would love to learn how to do" I am in the process of re-doing an old painting of mine. I posted a goblet that I did over in the Xara Gallery and wanted to create a design and bump map it (I think that's what I want to do) so that it has an engraved look to the design. I have created the design. I think it's perfect, paganish enough, and definetly scrolly enough.

Can anyone help me to figure out how to create this part of it??

In case anyone likes the design, it is 4 of the rights free designs, cut and redrawn, cloned, put together, grouped, add shapes, beveled, convert to editable shapes, ungrouped, then using the outlined 'beveled' part of the design applied one of Tony Roberts wonderful molds to it. Turned out really good. It was lots of fun creating it, no pun intended!!

Below is the goblet with the design applied so you can get an idea of what I am trying to convey. I know the thing should look like the metal, but recessed with all the shadows and hilights so it looks realistic.

Much appreciated.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi RAMWolff,

If you bevel the design and adjust the angle of the and apply a transparency it could look engraved.

Soquili

Name:	goblet_ramwolff.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	2451  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

By using clones and offsetting a little and using the subtract shapes to get seperate highlight and shadows.

Soquili

Name:	goblet_ramwolff3.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	14905  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

you are a stress saver. PERFECT!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I was looking at the goblet and thought to myself, how the heck did he/she (sorry, don't know your sex) get the design off of the goblet to do this one........took me a second then I was like,..............."MAN, you are tired, you posted the other one in the Gallery". It was the reflective areas that got my brain humming again, I have 'updated' them and darkened the goblet a bit more.

Thanks again, a debt of gratitude.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi RAMWolff,

Glad to help. I'm a he, even though my hair is long enough for me to sit on ;-)

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello Ramwoff your goblet looks great. Think wood you would have to cast that goblet in pewter and make a mold I guess. In wood you would use Cherry, walnut, or maple. The design would be carved by hand with a veiner tool or power carved. I have both. Your stem could be just a little thicker for your jewels, which you expoxy or super glue. I'm posting a picture of a power carved goblet which has wheat carvings on it. You need to join a Woodturner's club in your area. So you can take your graphic talent from computer to the wood. I like your design. You may force me to do that in wood for you. That would pull me away from my golf time. Needless to say the carving would take longer than the turning. Keep this Up I love it. If I read your location right you are in the middle of CA Art Country. Thanks George Troy
    http://www.georgetroycrafts.com. Go to the site to see more pictures and drawings than what was listed on http://www.geotroycrafts.com

Name:	cherrywheatcarvedgobletforu.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	3187  

Hi Geotroy:

If your asking permission to create the goblet, go for it. but wait untill I have the design on the front of the bowl. It's really cool. You would probably sell it big at any renasance fair or similar types of artsy type fairs. As long as you engrave 'designed by RAMWolff' on the bottom of each one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I planned on fixing that little problem with the stem, I know, it looks 'off' a bit. That is a minor problem. I'm having a hellofatime getting the design on the goblet bowl to look just right, more of a challenge than the goblet itself.

Have no fear, I will succeed!!

Thanks so much for the praise and direction. Much appreciated.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---