Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Registry Question

I recently downloaded a freeware zip utility from Ashampoo, which decided that the .xar extension was from a zip file, so it took it over. I - obviously - didn't want that so I uninstalled the programme. However, every time I load Xara P&GD9 now it says Xara is not registered for .xar files etc. do I want to register it. I've said yes every time, but it still asks every time. Is there any easy way to fix this?

I know I can uncheck " always perform this check" but I don't want to do this! Any other options?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Xara Registry Question

if you have windows, find a file with .xar as the extension, right click, in pop-up select "open with" choose default program and check the "use this app as default program" and then select Xara

that is if i understand your question right....i frequently misinterpret the exact issue

No, you understand the question right .... However, already tried that .... That was my first thought too. Didn't work. Actually that's not quite correct. It did work, all the .xar files show the standard icon, and do actually open with XP&GD9 when double clicked .... it's just that the damn thing still pops up and says "Xara is not registered for .xar files etc. do I want to register it".
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Keith, Did you try restarting your computer?
    If that doesn't work you may have to uninstall including removing the XP&GDF9 folder the and reinstall and if that doesn't work I hate to say it but you might have to go more aggressive.
    That's the only things I can think of because I don't mess with the registry.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I know I can uncheck " always perform this check" but I don't want to do this! Any other options?
    You can use XaReg to disable this check.

PS: Yes, XAR is an archiver file type used by MacOS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-27_071301.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	106811  

Unchecking 'Always perform this check when starting this program' can't be that big a deal.

When I phoned Xara Support, they said just to uncheck the box.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

@Larry: Yes, the computer has been restarted - No difference.

@Steve: Yes, I already thought of XaReg

@Rik: No, you're right it's not that big a deal, but I want to be told if something else has taken over control of my extensions. Early warning of malware etc. Although I dare say I'll find out fast enough ... or too slowly depending on how you look at it.

Looks like I'll have to uncheck the box then.

Thanks Guys.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    ......... but I want to be told if something else has taken over control of my extensions..
    The .xar file icon would immediately indicate a program association change.
    If it appears to you that the change is not being saved to the registry I'd I suggest starting P&GD9 once as admin, confirm the association and un check the box.

There's no need to uncheck the switch. Run the program as Adminstrator (right click on the program icon and choose "Run as administrator" in the popup menu) and when it asks about XAR files say, "yes". That should allow the program to update the registry entries.

From then on you can run the program normally.

Phil

Sorry Phil, That didn't work either. I'll uncheck it for now. I can always re-enable it via Xareg2.

Thanks - to Phil and Steve.
    Keith