Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Unable to FTP 170MB file from Pro 10

On different websites, I am unable to FTP a 170MB video file. (In fact any large video file) The export dialogue continues to 100% then restarts at zero. Inspection of the supposedly uploaded site reveals no files have been uploaded.

Xara technical support have provided appalling support for this fault, and seem unable or are unwilling to help.

Default Re: Unable to FTP 170MB file from Pro 10

I moved this topic to the Xara Web Design Chat forum

That is a rather hefty file. Are you able to use a third party FTP program to upload it? If so, then link to the file rather than embed it. Or as one of the members suggested, upload to YouTube or Vimeo and link to these sites.

Even if you were able to embed the video file, I do not believe there is support for streaming and so the entire file would need to load before the video could start playing. I might be wrong here, someone jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

If I may be so bold to inquire, what was the appalling support you received?

Uploading a 170 MB file (of any type) will require the Xara application to store it it memory and then take up more memory to effect the file transfer.
    I know my laptop wouldn't cope but my desktop could. Where do you sit?

If I had to do something like this, I would rely on a separate FTP application. I use FileZilla.

I sure there is an answer but it might take some time to explore the possibilities.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ...If I had to do something like this, I would rely on a separate FTP application. I use FileZilla.

Acorn
    +1 on the filezilla recommendation @Acorn. imo it's the best out there and should work if it's a valid video file

Thanks for that. I have ended up using YouTube for larger files as the only way round this. I hear what you say about embedding/streaming and realise this will place restrictions on the larger files. I now have answers which I am satisfied with and will modify my protocols accordingly.
    Regarding suppport. I was asked to upload various (inevitably some quite large) files and found the uploading (FTP) facility to be unsatisfactory in a number of respects. I was using Coffee Cup Direct.which works very well everywhere else. There were long delays between emails and a disappointing lack of continuity regarding what was happening it seemed.

OK, thanks for the additional info, Bill.

With video files this size surely you see that you are going to run into problems with your viewer getting annoyed with the slowness of the load and using up their bandwidth. As you have found out the easiest way to upload is to a third party like Youtube or Vimeo. I honestly can't understand why you tried to upload a files that amounted to that size. Understand that there is a difference between upload vs. embed. Uploading or Hosting a video means that you will upload videos on your site, you would firstly upload images onto your site, this takes time, in the upload and then nearly the same to load onto your page. This is the part that I am recommending against. Embedding a video means that you upload a video using a third party site like Youtube, and then you can easily embed it in your blog posts/page. I would strongly recommend folks to embed videos whenever they can. Look at the movies on this site they are all done this way. What version are you running as you can use widgets from your Design Gallery to do this like above mention Youtube and the social networking one but the latter and some others may restrict your quality.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Yes, I have learned all that the hard way and, as I've said, have now modified my protocols to use Youtube and a link.

Thanks, one and all for putting me right!!

Thanks, one and all for putting me right!!
    That's why we're here Mr. Hercus.

Quote Originally Posted by billhercus View Post
    Thanks for that. I have ended up using YouTube for larger files as the only way round this. I hear what you say about embedding/streaming and realise this will place restrictions on the larger files. I now have answers which I am satisfied with and will modify my protocols accordingly.
    Another option is to let iPlayerHD.com host your videos. They supply the correct size file for various devices, you can have playlists, include social icons, and more. Price is very reasonable. We have used them for several years... and that is not an affiliate link. If you want to see some of our videos, go to www.SilvaCourses.com/videovault/http://www.silvacourses.com/videovault/. There are a couple of videos on there that I haven't had time to update and send to iPlayerHD, they are easy to spot. All the videos with social icons are iPlayerHD hosted videos. Ed