Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Creating a members log-in webpage

Hi, am a newbie in this particular topic, but I would like to set up a new area on our church website where members can log-in and post items or share information but I don't know where to start. Our current website is created using WD10 but I don't think Xara has included this as an option (?), which I guess would be created using some sort of widget. I notice on a google search that there are some ready-made programs. If that is the best way to go I wonder if another member has used and can recommend any particular software/program, or how to get started? Main criteria are that it be as simple as possible and cheap (free would be best!). All help would be appreciated, Many thanks, Rikko

Default Re: Creating a members log-in webpage

Hi Rikko

I have moved your post to the Xara Web Design Chat forum.

Check back and see if there are any suggestions. This is a topic that comes up frequently.

You might check out this utility created by Xara user xtom http://www.xt-cms.com/xara-demo/

Setting up a facility for member registrations and accounts which require unique user names and passwords allowing those people to then post to a page/site requires a database of kind, often SQL. Xara Designer cannot do this.
    You might try Nabble's free embeddable forum in a placeholder.
    http://n4.nabble.com/free-forum.html

Hi Rikkoshea,

I use Xara Web Designer Pro. I just did this, but as mentioned above it can't be done in Xara. If you or a technically oriented friend has access to the server that hosts your site and the site is running Apache, you can use a htaccess file. It is really isn't that difficult. It involves editing an Apache configuration file, creating a file based password database, and a ".htaccess" file. Depending where this file is placed, it can control access to your entire site or just some areas. If you site is hosted at an ISP, they will sometimes help you with this (it might cost a small amount, but many will do it for free).

Icue

Icue, it's more difficult than you suggest. For the novice, the instructions that you gave can be daunting and your suggestion fails to provide a solution that would provide a website where members can log-in and post items . The posting of items needs more than a protected directory.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Icue, it's more difficult than you suggest. For the novice, the instructions that you gave can be daunting and your suggestion fails to provide a solution that would provide a website where members can log-in and post items . The posting of items needs more than a protected directory.
    Pauland,

Agreed. I missed the part about postings. I was a bit to hasty in my post.

Icue