Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MeshLab-Beautiful file convertor and Open Source

While I was looking for something to translate a #$%^& STL (sterolithic) model, I stumbled across [url=http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/]MeshLab. It has a lot of nice widgets and stuff for doing other processes, but I was interested in getting a few files posted on a 3D printer site into OBJ file format to examine them.

Fast and flawless if you have an STL file! Very good point reconciliation; you get a model 99% of the time, not garbage you can't work with!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOTR model.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	106691

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: MeshLab-Beautiful file convertor and Open Source

Hi Gary,
    I was looking at a 3D printer and wondering how I could get some work into the 3D format and you found it for me thanks.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: MeshLab-Beautiful file convertor and Open Source

Very handy - Thanks Gary.

On our CAD systems forum, one of the members was trying to get some custom home drawings into STL to 3D print. Our CAD can output in 3DS, so Meshlab may work nicely. I'll let you know if anyone reports trying it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.