Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default exporting animation to avi

Hi
    What option should I choose when attempting to export an animation to avi, from Xara Designer Pro X?
    The program is constantly crashing (access violation) with uncompressed and XiiD Mpeg Codec.
    Thanks, Colin.

Default Re: exporting animation to avi

does it work with any of the other codecs?

uncompressed AVI tends to be big, maybe there is an issue with memory as it is an access violation [designer pro X is a 32bit app so it can only access about 3/3.5 GB max depending on what else is running and processor addressing]

assuming you are running a modern windows computer [win7 or later] shouldn't think it's an AVI file size issue other than in terms of memory needed to process it

as far as the latest XiiD Mpeg-4 Codec goes, that works ok for me with designer pro X - but I only did a quick simple AVI tween test...

there are some features that do not work in flash animations, but it's worth checking the help section to see if there are some that should not be used in AVI just in case
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for replying. I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit with 12Gb of memory - so I agree size shouldn't be a problem. Your last point really interested me - about there being something in the animation that doesn't work with avi - as I've successfully exported other animations to avi. In the meanwhile I've exported to flash and used a swf to video converter. I'll have a good look through the help section, as you suggest, to see if anything is amiss in this animation.
    Thanks again, Colin

I took the liberty of moving this thread to the Web Design Chat forum.

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    ...I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit with 12Gb of memory - so I agree size shouldn't be a problem.....
    not to step on @handrawn post (excellent observation by the way!!) but to further expound on the memory limits...if designer pro x is a 32 bit app it can only really access the lower ram addresses (the lower 4Gb ram) by design even on a 64 bit system unless you manually reconfigure it by following THIS. if it only has access to about 2 to 3Gb lower addressed ram at most is it possible that trying to save your file is pushing it over this limit? can't imagine it is unless there's other processes grabbing that lower ram. can you try saving just half of the file? and...and...what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (sorry - i digress to monty python )

just trying to add a little more food for thought before the experts chime in
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 18 March 2015 at 12:01 AM.

good link mikey

the size of the AVI file, and the amount of memory needed to process it are two different things; the old limit of 2GB max for an AVI file no longer applies on modern NTFS windows systems, but the memory available to process it with a 32bit app cannot go above those limits, and so anything above 4GB is not going to make any difference here - I have 32bit apps that will process 4GB AVI [eg an older version of camtasia], it all depends on what else is running, the app itself, and what content is being processed

and...what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    proportional to the aerodynamic feathering of a Papuan spine-tailed swift
    Nothing lasts forever...

^^^^ exactly....on both counts

Hi
    Firstly thanks to everybody for replying, and apologies for having the thread in the wrong place to start with!
    I'm not going to pretend to understand half of what's been said(!)
    I understand that the animation size is too large for an avi export. What would be really useful would be a reliable way of judging whether an animation is too large for export to avi , before exporting. The animation file info, that been giving me so much griet: ;A compressed Flash animation; SWF version 8; Frames per second 24; Image Size 1600 by 875 pix; File size 4495
    Thanks, Colin

well if you are prepared to post up the xar file - maybe one of us could pinpoint the problem - I have designer pro X, so I can look at it for you
    Nothing lasts forever...