Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PICTURES DISTORTED IN PHOTO SLIDESHOW

I'm working on a web site for our town and put a picture show in the site. I used the "Construction" template for the site and made changes --- the problem I'm having is that Xara helped me change the photo show from Tile Effect Show 2 to a "Fade Effect Slideshow". It appears that the photos are distorted so I'm wondering if someone can help me adjust the pictures so that they don't look distorted.

Below is a link to the site I'm working on -- because it's on a test site it takes a minute for the photos to load. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I'm using Web Designer 10 Premium.

http://nationalparknj.com/test2015/index.htm

Default Re: PICTURES DISTORTED IN PHOTO SLIDESHOW

Hi Kate

Are all your photos the same maximum width at 96dpi. If not this might be why they are distorting.

I would start with all the photos at least at the maximum width of the slideshow and then move the image in the frame with the Fill Tool (F5) to get the best part of the image in each frame.

Thanks for your response. Pictures are sized at 1400x600 at DPI 192. When I go into Optimize photo, Settings, Advanced, Bitmap and change from 192 DPI to 96DPI the picture quality diminishes. Am I doing something wrong.

dpi doesn't matter, what matters is the aspect ratio, picture size (in pixels) and resolution.
    Your photos are not the same as the slideshow's aspect.

Your photos: 868x372 pixels (example.http://nationalparknj.com/test2015/i...files/2505.jpg) which has an aspect ratio of 217 : 270
    Slideshow area: 860x255 pixels which has an aspect ratio of 43 : 54

Calculated from pixel dimensions using ARC ► http://andrew.hedges.name/experiments/aspect_ratio/

I understand what you're saying but unfortunately I'm a novice and don't know how to change the aspect ratio. I'm using the Fade Effect Slideshow and I was hoping I could just change the ratio of that widget but I don't think its changeable so I was looking at the web designs and found that the widget on the "Longhaul" template is the right proportion and my photos look good in it BUT I don't want the heading at the bottom or the numbers on the top right. Do you know how I would get rid of those or preferable change the aspect ratio in the Fade Effect Slideshow. Help is really appreciated

How are you add the photos to the slide show Kate?

I go into the widget and right click on the photo and select replace photo

OK. Try this. Import all the photos you want to use into Xara. This will place a copy in the Bitmap Gallery.

Start fresh with a new Fade Effects slide show.

Double click on the widget to open the edit window.

Drag and drop an image from the Bitmap Gallery onto the first photo. Select the photo with the Photo Tool and you can drag the image by the center or resize as needed (let me know if you need help doing this).

Repeat this to replace the other photos.

I think this will work and your photos will retain the correct aspect ratio.

I go into the widget and right click on the photo and select replace photo. I revised the test site to show how the photo show looks and the pictures are not distorted but I need to remove the numbers in the top right and the bottom where it says heading.

http://nationalparknj.com/test2015/index.htm

Attachment 106682

I'm trying but it's not working. I imported the pictures and then when I drop and drag I'm getting a smaller size picture and when I preview the picture it just shows the bitmap icon. I attached a picture to show you what's happening. I can't change the size of the bitmap