Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Object Naming

Default Object Naming

Hi All,

OK, I'm trying to do something "advanced" --at least for me-- but I think I found a bug? I want to change the way a specific link works. I would like to eliminate the underline just for this one link, not the whole site (I know how to do that). I create a text area and name it. Then I create some CSS and put it in the page header to reference the named object. This didn't work so I checked the html source and found that the name for text is in an isolated span -- the text object isn't enclosed. This doesn't seem right?

Thanks,
    Icue

Default Re: Object Naming

Icue, not a bug as such. To get pixel positioning, Xara's code places all text lines in SPAN tags.
    For your problem, the conventional wisdom if for you can add a further Name "HTMLBlockText" to your named ID.

I prefer the following:
    In text Tool mode, highlight the text you need to be IDed; Name it. (Right-click > context menu > Names...)
    In the Select Tool mode, select the same text; Name it something else.

You end up with:
    <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: -12px;"><span id="OuterFred"></span><span id="FredItself">Fred</span></span>

You've been getting OuterFred; you need FredItself.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for your response. I've been experimenting with this for about an hour now. I'm using Web Designer 10 Premium.

If you create a text area, select the entire area (with the selector tool) and give it a single name, the name span goes outside the text area. If you give it two names, the second name never even shows up and the span with the first name stays the same.

If you select some specific text in a text area (or an object) and name it, the name goes on the inner span surrounding the item selected. No second name is necessary. If you give it a second name, it doesn't even show up in the source.

Is this how it's supposed to work?

Icue

Icue, i was trying to point out you need to use the highlight text and Name that part.
    The outer bit was showing you what you were doing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat