Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Creating 3d sphere with hole

Hello pro's!!

Need help if anyone knows how to create a sphere with a hole going through center of it that is 3d rotatable. Needing this rotatable so that there is different orientations for the hole to reside on. I have made circles and the added a smaller one with different colors to them and they are not working out right for what I am needing and just can not wrap my head around it. Thanks so much for the help. Picture a totally round bead with a hole in it on a string and that is what I am after.

Default Re: Creating 3d sphere with hole

Possibly someone will prove me wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's not doable with Xara Designer software.
    3D Spheres aren't something the extrude tool is good at.
    You might need to switch to Blender or some other proper 3D rendering application.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 08 March 2015 at 10:18 PM.

While Xara has some 3D extrusion capability, that's not the same thing as true 3D modeling software. I use Nendo for subdivisional surface modeling exported to .3DS format, imported to Sketch up, or other 3D program and render with proper lighting. You need a true 3D app for that kind of complex geometry as a sphere with a hole in it.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I agree with Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	106585  

Appreciate the help. Biggest problem is I use Xara for all my other diagrams. Can I make the sphere in another program and then use it in Xara as a rotatable shape? Name:  fig4.png
Views: 434
Size:  12.6 KB Need to make beading diagrams like this. Have used Adobe Illustrator but that program is soooo much more than I would ever need and a CPU hog. Suggestions?

Why not make two spheres with one being smaller. Subtract the one from the other and use the 3D tool to make it into a bead.
    Then use the 3D tool as needed to pose the different beads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bead.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	106590

Bead.xar

Quote Originally Posted by daymskipy View Post
    Appreciate the help. Biggest problem is I use Xara for all my other diagrams. Can I make the sphere in another program and then use it in Xara as a rotatable shape? Name:  fig4.png
Views: 434
Size:  12.6 KB Need to make beading diagrams like this. Have used Adobe Illustrator but that program is soooo much more than I would ever need and a CPU hog. Suggestions?
    But those are rings, not spheres.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchim View Post
    Why not make two spheres with one being smaller. Subtract the one from the other and use the 3D tool to make it into a bead.
    Then use the 3D tool as needed to pose the different beads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bead.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	106590

Bead.xar
    No need for subtraction to create those rings. Just create an ellipse with a thick line and no fill then convert line to shape before using the extrude tool.

I was making it far more complicated than it needed to be!

You really want Mike Sims or Salaam to chime in here. The globe can be done, as they have both shown, but I think that the hole through the middle would make this impossible in this software. However, Mike's done some impossible things before with Xara ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.