Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WD9 crashes on previeuw

Dear reader,
    Whenever i try to previeuw my website in WD9 the program freezes ad closes.
    What might be wrong?
    My website is 26 pages, and when I check the document information it says the used memory is around 650 Mb and the number of objects is 1846.
    To me this looks reasonable , and no reason for the crash. My PC has very nice specs.

Default Re: WD9 crashes on previeuw

I've no idea why this might be happening without a look at your .web/.xar file.

What happens if you preview a page at a time (i.e. Not the whole site at once). It could be you've a rogue page.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

650 MB is pretty robust. Have you optimized your photos? Utilities > Optimize all Images?

Xara will export your images at 96dpi but in Web Designer they may be in the original resolution and file size which can add up and could be causing your problem.

The only thing to worry about is to make sure you have the original images in another folder in case you need them for something else before you Optimize. Optimize will reduce the resolution to 96 and if you have checked Retina (hi def) images then they images will be optimized at 192dpi for export.

Normally also, if you have a large image and you have used Clip View or Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes to mask the image, the entire image is retained, even if you are only using a small portion of the image. When you optimize, the image is cropped to the current size and any other portion of the image that is not visible is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    650 MB is pretty robust. Have you optimized your photos? Utilities > Optimize all Images?

Xara will export your images at 96dpi but in Web Designer they may be in the original resolution and file size which can add up and could be causing your problem.

The only thing to worry about is to make sure you have the original images in another folder in case you need them for something else before you Optimize. Optimize will reduce the resolution to 96 and if you have checked Retina (hi def) images then they images will be optimized at 192dpi for export.

Normally also, if you have a large image and you have used Clip View or Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes to mask the image, the entire image is retained, even if you are only using a small portion of the image. When you optimize, the image is cropped to the current size and any other portion of the image that is not visible is removed.
    Retina is selected by 'default'.
    I've never liked this 'feature'.

Thanks all, Yes I had the pictures optimised, but to Retina size. You are right on this , Steve. Now i've optimised them again , and I win around 200Mb.
    But the program still crashes, Now I am suspecting my Windows 7 to be the cause. I am planning to reinstall Windows.

Before you re install windows, update your installed IE if not done so already.

My hunch proved right. I reinstalled Windows and previeuw works fine now. Well fine; it takes about 3 minutes before previeuw showes up. But it works again and many other features are faster than before.
    Before I reinstalled Windows , it had very few problems with Windows. Windows explorer sometimes stopped working, but that was all. Windows (7) sometimes can be clogged without noticing it.

Remember that Xara has to first generate the HTML from your site pages then write to a temp folder before it can preview.
    If your site is image heavy and has other scripts and widgets, then this can take time.
    I would have updated IE before re installing Windows.