Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Auto scale web page

I've noted the two sites I've designed in Web Designer 9 premium stay the same size, no matter what the size of the computer screen is. An email to Xara didn't really get a great answer. So Xara pages will not scale to the size of your screen (or the size of the window you're looking at) automatically? They're stuck at whatever pixels the original page was set to? Any work arounds? Mucho thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Auto scale web page

Xara Web Designer is a fixed width WYSIWYG web design application.
    Auto scaling and re-flow is not WYSIWYG..

Version 10 now offers 'Responsive Design' in the form or 'variants'. This means you create two or more sized sites which will auto load depending on the device.

Yes but there is also in version 10 a Supersite > Scale to Fit Screen option if I understand the question. This works best on pages that are not too deep and does scale to fit the page to the width of the browser.

OP has version 9.
    V10's scale to fit is basically a zoom function (enlarge/shrink).

Version 10 now offers 'Responsive Design' in the form or 'variants'. This means you create two or more sized sites which will auto load depending on the device.
    I was adding to your comments Steve. Zoom or Scale to Fit, it is the same thing. The page scales (in the width) to the width of the browsing window.

So the scale to fit is only available within the supersite function? Bummer! One of the reasons I purchased WB10 was STF. From the whats-new page.

"Scale To Fit

Instead of designing presentation websites for specific screen sizes, the pages will now intelligently and automatically scale to fit any browser size (or you can set them to full-screen). Nb you can use this for websites too, it could be a good option if, like presentations, they are relatively small sites with short pages (might be good with a Supersite for example, so each page would automatically resize to fit the browser window)."

Always have to love sales and marketing people, leave it to our true friends to throw out the carrot on the end of the hook. Just a little misleading to me. Should read? (*Available only with the Supersite option!)

(Donald, we thank you for your donation and supporting our CEO, Board of Directors and Stock Holders.)

You're most welcome!
    Cheers
    Donald

Looking at my source code I found this....

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />

so that's what you're looking for isn't it?? fit to scale?

I didn't tell Xara to do this, but it's there.....

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I was adding to your comments Steve. Zoom or Scale to Fit, it is the same thing. The page scales (in the width) to the width of the browsing window.
    I don't consider this enlarge/shrink a useful feature at all, it's not so different to pressing Ctrl+ or Ctrl- in any browser. It looks horrid in small browser viewports and phones often causing font wrapping problems..

But, let's hear from the OP about what he really mean't.

I don't consider this enlarge/shrink a useful feature at all

+1

I would never use this.

I suspect the OP really wanted a responsive site that used the available space with elements still at the designed size, rather than a site that changed the size of everything to fit the available space.

We'll find out in due course.

Would not scale to fit with variants not be a useful combination?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat