Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I want to be able to import dxf files from a CAD system into Xara. But it can't import dxf. I can open this file with Illustrator or Canvas and then save it as ".ai" Then I can get it into Xara.

Is there any other way to do this? I hate having to use another program.

I want to be able to import dxf files from a CAD system into Xara. But it can't import dxf. I can open this file with Illustrator or Canvas and then save it as ".ai" Then I can get it into Xara.

Is there any other way to do this? I hate having to use another program.

There are only 2 ways that I know of to import dxf into Xara. You either have to take the dxf into a program that can read it and then export it as something Xara understands, or you have to use the original cad program to export the file in a format that Xara can import. You might submit a feature request to Xara to add that import file format.

Stan

If you are using AutoCad, you work in .dwg files. Don't export anything, but instead, PLOT your file so you have a .plt file. Even Corel4 will "import" plt files, and if Xara won't then use the cmx method.
    Regards..........Tad

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I sometimes need to work with lines already drawn in autocad to save redrawing them. What I do is export a .wmf from autocad and then import it into Xara. Upon import, with all the lines selected, I generally reset all the lines to a new lineweight (like .5pix) and a black line colour. If I don't sometimes they are there but you can't see them. This .wmf method only brings in the lines so it is far from perfect. Nevertheless sometimes you only really need the lines so it can be useful.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>