Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Fellow Xara users,

I was trying to follow Steve Newport’s Flag mini tut and ran into the following problem. Not sure if I have a setting wrong or if Xaxa is not working properly?

I imported a .jpg flag image from Steve’s tut and used the mold tool to manipulate the image (tried it as a .jpg and Windows Bit Map extention) using the Circular and Banner envelopes.

The Banner envelope only distorted the edges of the flag image while the Circular envelope caused the flag image to tile?

I made my own flag “Icon” consisting of a red filled rectangle - added a white rectangular stripe and Blended the stripes. Grouped the results of the Blend and the red rectangle and used the same tools described above in the flag image. The right hand top and bottom images show images before any Mold was applied.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be happening?

Bob C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoldQuestion.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	2040  

Fellow Xara users,

I was trying to follow Steve Newport’s Flag mini tut and ran into the following problem. Not sure if I have a setting wrong or if Xaxa is not working properly?

I imported a .jpg flag image from Steve’s tut and used the mold tool to manipulate the image (tried it as a .jpg and Windows Bit Map extention) using the Circular and Banner envelopes.

The Banner envelope only distorted the edges of the flag image while the Circular envelope caused the flag image to tile?

I made my own flag “Icon” consisting of a red filled rectangle - added a white rectangular stripe and Blended the stripes. Grouped the results of the Blend and the red rectangle and used the same tools described above in the flag image. The right hand top and bottom images show images before any Mold was applied.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be happening?

Bob C.

You're working with a bitmap of my tut. Xara doesn't mold the appearance of bitmaps, just their shape. You need a vector shape to work with. Here's the xar. file of my flag, good luck

Steve Newport
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

does your flag [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Those whites of yours.....

Detergent ad-mans dream article [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe had Ristos red sock in the same load [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Alan
    Alan

but a little more flustered...

Beg me if you would like to know how, I'm sure you don't [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Alan

Name:	usaflag.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	8263  
    Alan

Steve:
    I wonder how I missed the fact that Xara's Mold Tool does not distort bitmaps?

Alan:
    Nice Flag! Been thinking about animating one, would be a challenge.

Bob C.

but it was fun. Thing about Xara its so infectious once you get going. Previous thread on dangling/fluttering flags didn't grab me. Just why has this one I have no idea. Oh well!

Alan

Name:	unionjackx4.gif 
Views:	270 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	14688  
    Alan

going back to the original question, while it is true that only the perspective molds work on bitmaps, it is possible to use bitmap plugins to do some moulding - I'm thinking particularly of Sean Sedwards's spherical mould,

Tony
    Tony