Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Photo and Graphics Designer - Can I really only use 12 percent of my memory?

Is there any way around the 32bit memory limit of P&G Designer?

It is always saying it's getting low on memory and crashing sometimes even though it's only using about 1.5gb and I have 16gb of memory.
    Yesterday I lost lots of work because I didn't save for about 45 minutes and had a crash.

I have already optimised images.

I specifically bought the amount of memory I have so I wouldn't have these issues.

Is the only way to use my 16gb of memory to chuck p&G designer and rebuy the much more expensive designer pro with lots of features I would never use?

It's really quite dissapointing, I'm thinking about going back to Inkscape (since they fixed the problem that made me leave) of course I'll have to spend a few days redesigning everything in there.
    Last edited by Forumarian; 12 February 2015 at 12:02 PM.

Default Re: Photo and Graphics Designer - Can I really only use 12 percent of my memory?

There is a utility that lets your application use up to 4GB of RAM. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Default Re: Photo and Graphics Designer - Can I really only use 12 percent of my memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Forumarian View Post
    Is there any way around the 32bit memory limit of P&G Designer?

It is always saying it's getting low on memory and crashing sometimes even though it's only using about 1.5gb and I have 16gb of memory.
    Yesterday I lost lots of work because I didn't save for about 45 minutes and had a crash.

I have already optimised images.

I specifically bought the amount of memory I have so I wouldn't have these issues.

Is the only way to use my 16gb of memory to chuck p&G designer and rebuy the much more expensive designer pro with lots of features I would never use?

It's really quite dissapointing, I'm thinking about going back to Inkscape (since they fixed the problem that made me leave) of course I'll have to spend a few days redesigning everything in there.
    P&GD is a 32bit application. Like all 32bit applications, it cannot access 16Gb of memory. Unless 32bit software is Large Address Aware the default amount is 2Gb.
    Designer Pro X 10 64bit version might have been a better choice for you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-13_070715.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	106120
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

The utility I linked to allows 32 bit apps to access 4GB of RAM. I used it with my stereogram software which is 32 bit and which would not let me create 300dpi poster-sized images because of the memory issues.

The utility solved that issue.

Gary, the OP expected 16Gb to be used with his 32bit application.
    That [useful] patch makes some 32bit software processes large address aware [LAA] allowing access to 4Gb on 64bit systems.

I agree with Forumarian. Even Photoshop Elements has a 64bit version now. I believe his post is wondering why P&D has to remain at 32bit. It seems that since the technology is there for the Pro edition, would it really be that difficult to apply it to P&D?
    Joe

The Pro edition of Photo&Graphic Designer 10 (formerly Xara Xtreme) is Designer Pro X10 (formerly Xara Xtreme Pro)
    This is similar to the two versions of Web Designer.

Perhaps the answer is not to have some many versions of essentially identical software and lower the price of the Pro and Premium applications, they'd sell more licenses and would make up any shortfall.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will look into the 4gb memory patch because it will be a good temporary transitional measure to keep it going for a bit longer until I can redesign everything in Inkscape.
    There is a bug in inkscape with ghosting in large real world size pages that I have submitted a bug request about, so hopefully it might be fixed by the time I run out of 4gb in P&G. So I appreciate the suggestion, I hope the 4gb patch doesn't cause a problem with P&G designer (ie. it thinks it's a crack or something and won't register or invalidate my license).

Yes I am very dissapointed if the technology is there for 64bit P&G designer but they are not offering it only to try and make people buy a much more expensive version with lots of things most people don't need.

I didn't really research in great details before buying P&G Designer, but because even old computers from 10 years ago were 64 bit (such as one I am about to throw away because it's too slow by todays standards), it didn't really occur to me that a modern application would be 32bit only.

I chose Xara over other programs because I read it was fast, but it kind of negates being fast if it can only use 2gb of memory, and I assume 1 cpu core?
    Last edited by Forumarian; 13 February 2015 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumarian View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

I will look into the 4gb memory patch because it will be a good temporary transitional measure to keep it going for a bit longer until I can redesign everything in Inkscape.
    There is a bug in inkscape with ghosting in large real world size pages that I have submitted a bug request about, so hopefully it might be fixed by the time I run out of 4gb in P&G. So I appreciate the suggestion, I hope the 4gb patch doesn't cause a problem with P&G designer (ie. it thinks its a crack or something and won't register).

Yes I am very dissapointed if the technology is there for 64bit P&G designer but they are not offering it only to try and make people buy a much more expensive version with lots of things most people don't need.

I didn't really research in great details before buying P&G Designer, but because even old computers from 10 years ago were 64 bit (such as one I am about to throw away because it's too slow by todays standards), it didn't really occur to me that a modern application would be 32bit only.

I chose Xara over other programs because I read it was fast, but it kind of negates being fast if it can only use 2gb of memory, and I assume 1 cpu core?
    It is there, but that makes it the Pro version.
    Do you expect them to offer Pro features for the standard versions?

As mentioned, my preference would be for fewer versions but at lower pricing.
    It sure would make for simpler support as well

it didn't really occur to me that a modern application would be 32bit only.
    There are thousands of 32bit applications that don't need to go 64bit and probably never will.
    For the most part, you will rarely encounter a memory shortage with P&GD.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194119/why-...on-of-windows/

Hello,

I would be happy to pay up to 50% extra to upgrade my P&G Designer to a pro version with 64bit.

But there is no pro version, the only pro version is like rebuying P&G designer + buying all the other Xara products that I don't need and would not use.

If anyone works for Xara and is reading this please suggest that there is an upgrade available for P&G Designer.
    So I paid about $115 aud + extra fees for paying with paypal for P&G Designer 2013, I would just like to pay the extra to upgrade to a 64bit version. ie. say an extra $50~ would be ok.

Can anyone recommend another similar 2d vector software product that is 64bit capable? Incase Inkscape can't fix the ghosting issue.
    It would be nice if it had relative image linking as well as embedding and I would like to be able to set large pages of eg. 50m x 50m (or scaling if that isn't possible).
    Also has to be good with batch importing ie. dragging in 30+ images at once without any dialog boxes for each one.
    Last edited by Forumarian; 13 February 2015 at 04:34 AM.