Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Photo and Graphics Designer - Can I really only use 12 percent of my memory?

The upgrade to P&G Designer is Designer Pro X 10.
    As a P&GD10 license holder, you get a $100 (US) discount if you upgrade to DPX10 (64bit).
    (That equals full refund on the purchase price of P&GD + a $10 thank you bonus )
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 13 February 2015 at 08:22 AM.

Default Re: Photo and Graphics Designer - Can I really only use 12 percent of my memory?

One question: What are you drawing if you need such a huge page size? Even when working with CAD programs you would just adjust drawing scale to get everything fit into reasonable paper size.

I am arranging hundreds of products and combinations of products into categories on backdrops to export as images.

One question: What are you drawing if you need such a huge page size?

I am arranging hundreds of products and combinations of products into categories on backdrops to export as images.

I have a feeling that the real issue is that you are using the software as a lazy way to organise, when in reality a bit of organisation would allow you to work with smaller documents and you wouldn't have any problem using the 32bit software.

I could subdivide objects into groups, one file per group; however I still have to move them around in-between groups.

So I would have to open multiple .xar documents instead of just one, since I can't run multiple instances of P&G Designer I would have the same memory problem.

Also my files usually get larger with time so it could work for a while but eventually I would have to look at something else.

Also objects from all the groups I'm arranging can go together in different combinations with objects from all the other groups. So there would be a lot of loading time to open one file, copy an object from one to another, close that file, open another one copy an object from there, open another one, then open the first one again, etc.

I considered all this and that's why I have 16gb of ram, so it's really a shame I can't use most of it.

But I have a feeling Xara are leaving out the 64bit processing from P&G Designer as a lazy way to make two tier products.
    Last edited by Forumarian; 13 February 2015 at 09:25 AM.

I can't run multiple instances of P&G Designer

Why not?

Also my files usually get larger with time so it could work for a while but eventually I would have to look at something else.

I think it's not a question of looking at something else but really looking for a better workflow and organisation.

I have no idea what on earth you are doing, but there has to be a better way than creating a single graphics document and continually adding images to it.

I know it's not relevant to your issue, but given you are entirely dependent on this file, make sure you have backups and copies not just on the hard drive, but also on separate media.

Yes I have backups of course.

I'm not entirely dependent on it in the sense that I have all the original images and sizing data. So even if I lost all my backups or have to move to a new program I would have to remake some layouts but I could do it in a few days if I had to.

I just feel that I've got 16gb of ram so if I could only use it I wouldn't have to think of convoluted workflow systems that are just a way to organise things so I never used more than 12% of the ram I have for no real reason.

Also I have already compromised a lot with optimising images, originally I had hoped to use higher resolution images (fully compressed pngs) for use with web and print (or higher resolution web).

Yes I have backups of course.
    There are so many posts on TG by people who lose everything.

I just feel that I've got 16gb of ram so if I could only use it I wouldn't have to think of convoluted workflow systems that are just a way to organise things so I never used more than 12% of the ram I have for no real reason.

Well, I take your point. You have made an investement in hardware, so now rather than bemoan the 32-bit nature of the software you might as well make that further investment in software to get the 64bit capability. Steve has already mentioned that your current investment in the software isn't wasted.

Ok I might consider it. I'm waiting for now because Inkscape has fixed many of the issues why I left before but there is one more thing that I have submitted a bug report about and if it could be fixed I might go to Inkscape.

And I also have to look at other software products available that could have 64bit capability.

But my point was for anyone from Xara who could be reading this, is that I really wish they didn't force you to buy lots of extra software I don't need just to get 64bit that should be fairly standard today.

I would never use Page and layout designer, or web designer premium.
    I would be happy to upgrade to a higher version of Photo and graphic designer, but I really don't want to have to buy two other products that I won't ever use just to get the one that I want (P&G Designer 64 bit).

Most likely there are other potential customers who would think the same thing.

I'd say your usage of the software isn't typical and Xara/magix have to differentiate their products and price-points.

It's entirely true that the product lines look more and more like a complicated mish-mash every day and it's ripe for simplification.