• Too Slow?

1 5.00%
  • Pretty OK?

7 35.00%
  • More than OK?

11 55.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase III

I can't quite put a finger on it, but something about the rollover images doesn't fit. The idea is good, the placement in the descender is good, but the images are too....something.
    The only thing that really sticks out is at 800x600, with standard IE toolbars, half of the rollover images are below the bottom edge. At 1024x768 it fits fine, of course. Hopefully someone else can provide more helpful feedback.
    "I'm not an artist, but I play one on the internet!"

I get an "Error on page" message, however I can't tell what the error is. The homepage puts me in mind of the XaraXone page. I like the look.
    Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

Gary, I like the look and feel of the new rollovers, and haven't noticed any particular problem with loading speed on my 56K modem.

But there is clearly some kind of a problem somewhere even though it appears to have worked fine for me in IE6 (see attachment) — haven't had time to look into this yet except to run HTML Tidy over your source code (suggest you might try the same and/or the W3C validator). Haven't voted (so do I have to?), but must stress that, 'problems' or not, I like it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phase3.png 
Views:	402 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	17047  

I like it. It's unexpected and made me smile. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to go further into the site ... and that's the point after all.

Mickie

Gary,

THe error is common whe you use the rollover componet in Fusion. Sometimes it wigs out. It just happened to me just yesterday.

Milt

When viewed in Nutscrape 4.7, it tells you there is an error, and to type 'javascript:' in the Location field for an explanation. Here is the explanation:

JavaScript Error: http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/, line 15:
    MM_preloadImages is not defined.

The rollovers all work just fine, in IE and NS, so I guess it's just a minor error. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how to fix the error, or if it is even necessary to worry with it.

Gary V.
    "I'm not an artist, but I play one on the internet!"

or if it is even necessary to worry with it.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would tend to agree with you, except this is a site where perspective clients are looking for web design. Might turn some away.
    Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

Here's the line with the error:

&ltBODY NOF="(MB=(HomePage, 126, 50, 0, 10), L=(gwpriestercomHomePageLayout, 749, 791))" onLoad="MM_preloadImages('assets/images/about_us_reg.gif', 'assets/images/about_us_reg_over.gif', 'assets/images/about_us_hi.gif', 'assets/images/about_us_hi_over.gif', 'assets/images/our_services_reg.gif', 'assets/images/our_services_reg_over.gif', 'assets/images/our_services_hi.gif', 'assets/images/our_services_hi_over.gif', 'assets/images/our_work_reg.gif', 'assets/images/our_work_reg_over.gif', 'assets/images/our_work_hi.gif', 'assets/images/our_work_hi_over.gif', 'assets/images/our_fees_reg.gif', 'assets/images/our_fees_reg_over.gif', 'assets/images/our_fees_hi.gif', 'assets/images/our_fees_hi_over.gif', 'assets/images/contact_us_reg.gif', 'assets/images/contact_us_reg_over.gif', 'assets/images/contact_us_hi.gif', 'assets/images/contact_us_hi_over.gif')" TOPMARGIN=0 LEFTMARGIN=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0&gt

You don't have to know javascript to realize that most of this is a list of your image files. I suspect that the error pops up (in some browsers), because one of these images doesn't exist.

This type of error occurs all the time in programs like Fusion, because designers click whatever button they have to click to generate the script. The script generator then scans the file for any image tags and creates the preloader script for those images. Then, the designer decides to delete one of the images. But the script generator isn't smart enough to go back and remove the reference to that image.

If I'm right about this, then you can fix the problem by (a) deleting and regenerating the script, or (b) hand editing the javascript to remove references to any deleted images.

Browsers are actually quite lax about errors. Many pages contain errors that are not fatal, and the browers will display such pages. Depending on preferences set by browser owners, the pages might alert browser owners about the errors before displaying the page. But then the page displays just fine. This is what happens to me (and some others here) when we visit your page.

These warning messages annoy the hell out of me. About 20% of pages I visit have these trivial errors, and I'd rather not know about them. I keep going to preferences and checking the "don't alert me to errors" option, but for some reason this option keeps getting unchecked.

Marcus Geduld
    { email me } { visit me }
    Marcus Geduld
    { email me } { visit me }