Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: How can I get images to not resize AT ALL when inserted into emails (Outlook2010)

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Shiphen, if you revert the desktop to 100% text size, does the problem go away? Forgive me if you have already said.
    YES.

@Pauland - The mac system sounds clever... but are you running Xara on a Mac? I thought that has always been impossible.

There are a number of other problems which occur with increased DPI. In many(most?) applications, particularly websites they entire layout starts to break if they are not written for increased DPI. Text inside boxes starts being cut off half way up and buttons start to disappear.

Even Xara is not immune (see what happens already - even at 125% DPI - below)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme_Xara.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	106105  

Default Re: How can I get images to not resize AT ALL when inserted into emails (Outlook2010)

Running Xara on a Mac? I thought that has always been impossible.

You can run it using Parallels or another virtual machine. You need a windows license too.

Several TG members run Xara software on a Mac, though there's plenty of Mac-only competition..

Do you still have an outlook issue at 100% shiphen.

apparently Ms Outlook is not very good with HTML and CSS and i am no expert here i just pass on what I have been told - Outlook HTML emails are tabular in format and this may be what is at issue here - but this is all a bit technical for me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Do you still have an outlook issue at 100% shiphen.
    No. Outlook does not re-size my images when DPI is at 100%. (The problem is however that I cant' live with text size DPI at 100% all my other applications / general purpose business use)

And no, I do not want to send email attachments (as they will then require the recipient makes an extra click and will then be out of context for the recipient)
    if you were to do this to me ie not send as attachment I would not see them anyway as I have embedded images blocked by default in email as they are a security issue when received from an unknown source

I wish you luck with what ever it is you are trying to do
    Nothing lasts forever...

Shiphen, if it works at 100% but not at 125%, I'd suggest this is an outlook issue rather than anything else.

Perhaps ask in an outlook forum somewhere?

has to be - that was obvious after the first 10 posts or so - question was, could there be some way of mitigating or working round it

an outllook forum is a good suggestion

if 'tabular in format' means what i think it does - ie based on tables - then putting in stuff at a size the program is not geared up for may certainly cause issues; text can wrap of course, but images may get altered to suit the table parameters... course I'm only floating an idea here...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    has to be - that was obvious after the first 10 posts or so - question was, could there be some way of mitigating or working round it

an outllook forum is a good suggestion

if 'tabular in format' means what i think it does - ie based on tables - then putting in stuff at a size the program is not geared up for may certainly cause issues; text can wrap of course, but images may get altered to suit the table parameters... course I'm only floating an idea here...
    Yes, I'm guessing it must be something to do with Outlook... but I have tried tacking this issue on an outlook forum and got nowhere. It appears to be a consistent outlook feature (AKA "bug"!). i.e. The IDIOTS at Microsoft had actually designed Outlook to resize image automatically and uncontrollably. Some people said it was something to do with the DPI of the file itself. Some people said you could change the DPI of the image files file themselves but this might have unpredictable results. From what I can see JPG files do have DPI values stored inside them (completely separately from the actual pixel dimensions).

What is confusing is that the Print world tend to think in terms of 300 DPI (or 600+ DPI) whereas the web world think in terms of pixels and seem to assume 96DPI (if Windows) and I don't want to have to mess about changing a file's default DPI partly because mostly I work on Web/on-line... but who know what use other people will have for my images.

Another option could be PNG - even though they tend to be much less efficient at compressing photos... But last time I tried the had the same problem.

Either way GIF files which do not have DPI values stored in them exhibit exactly the same problems. And so changing DPI feels like the wrong way forward!

...All very complicated. But I just wondered if anyone here had got a workaround?

Am I really the only person on this forum who has changed their text DPI and who uses Outlook??

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Am I really the only person on this forum who has changed their text DPI and who uses Outlook??
    I would think so, or more correctly, you are probably "the only person on this forum who has changed their text DPI and who uses Outlook and has an issue with the way it behaves".

Perhaps contacting Microsoft directly will get some response?

Other mail software is available!

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Microsoft had actually designed Outlook ...
    to work in a particular way... and I am sure they probably expected those who needed to send precise images to attached them, zipped if necessary, it's what most of us would do I think

as Paul said there are other email programs
    Nothing lasts forever...