Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Publish one page at a time with in the website

I'm not sure you'll understand that title so let me clarify, first off you guys have always been so helpful, I appreciate your time and dedication and thank you. I've modderated other forums for 15 years I know the time you put in to this.

I have a rather large website DoobieDuck.com, I am trying to find a way to sell my art prints from a store page with-in the site. I have a store page there now. I want to be able to change or add items to the store page updating that page only, then publish that page only, not re-publishing my entire site each time I change only the store page.

A problem is, my DSL is slower than most peoples phone lines, and yes I still pay for it, my site is so large it takes 6 hours to publish my entire site after I work on it, despite how minor the changes are, and many times my DSL disconnects in the middle of the process.

I've tried editing one page and uploading via Cute Ftp to my server, not from Xara, but then my site show problems on other pages within it.

Any help or suggestions will be again appreciated greatly, Jeff

Default Re: Publish one page at a time with in the website

This might work. Create a separate page and publish it to a separate folder. So the separate page is in essence a complete website. Name the page index.htm or index.html.

Link to this folder using the actual physical link (www.mysite.com/folder) and have physical links back to your actual website.

So every time you need to change the page content you just republish the single page.

Does that make sense?

Gary, many thanks Sir, that is something I had been considering. Do you think it would be possible to transfer the html store page I currently have on my server to a sepaarate folder on my server? My question being, would the html file for the current store contain all the needed fonts images etc. or are some of those shared in Xara from other folders. does that make sense? Almost confused myself..be well Jeff

Have you got "fast publish" set ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fast publish.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	106089

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Have you got "fast publish" set ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fast publish.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	106089
    Drwyd thanks for asking, yes I do! That doesn't seem to matter for some reason. really i've tried many things and feel a separate store page with links back to it may be my easiest and fastest fix. I've truly got hours into this now..you know how that builds up..Jeff

If you republish the store page to the folder using index.htm or index.html, then Xara will create the necessary folders and files so everything should be seamless to the visitor. Also, once you do this republish, remove the store page from your main site.

And easy way to do this is right click on the store page and select Copy Page. Create a new site and Edit > Paste > Paste Page. (delete the blank page that was created before the paste).

Drwyd? Sheesh, where did you come from? It's been ages.

gw..again thanks..I wish I would have come by here 653 hours ago..lol. you've been more than helpful both of you. I think that ^ ^ is what i'll do sir. I shouldn't have any trouble with it, have a great day, be well..Jeff

Let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    This might work. Create a separate page and publish it to a separate folder. So the separate page is in essence a complete website. Name the page index.htm or index.html.

Link to this folder using the actual physical link (www.mysite.com/folder) and have physical links back to your actual website.

So every time you need to change the page content you just republish the single page.

Does that make sense?
    I use this approach. I would keep the current Store page (with title store; filename store.htm) as is in your current design.

I would then copy that design page to a separate design file and (importantly) keep the same title/filename.
    I would then publish this one-page site to the same location as the main site. What you will have achieved when you publish is a main site with index (and other pages) plus an index_htm_files folder plus a store.htm file and a store_htm_files folder.

Every publish of the store design file only changes store.htm & store_htm_files folder contents.
    If you have to publish the main site you do need to then publish the store site page.
    If the main site has changed navigation, you also have to reflect the alterations in the store design.

This allows you to experiment and regress easily.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Drwyd? Sheesh, where did you come from? It's been ages.
    Yes it has, way waaaaaaay too long. Glad to see you all again :-)