Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Phantasm for Vector Halftones

In another thread, Gary Bouton showed us his incredible work in creating a vector halftone graphic.

Not all of us, (especially me) have the patience, imagination and skill to come up with this level of work, but still enjoy the results of halftone effects.
    But there is a way of replicating this kind of work by using Illustrator (CS 6 or later) in conjunction with a plugin from Astute Graphics - Phantasm (£49 €66* $75*) * depending on the current exchange rate.

The results are created by placing a graphic into Illustrator, and using Phantasm to convert it to a vector halftone representation of the bitmap.
    You have incredible control on the results, being able to adjust the number of halftone dots per inch, monochrome, RGB or CMYK etc.

Attached is a cute cartoon character I grabbed from a TV advert for Dolmio Italian sauces. I used XDP 10 to blur the background and focus upon the main element and then opened it up in Illustrator.

I have also attached a detail of the result so you can see that the outcome is great-looking editable vector shapes.
    I recommend that you enlarge the attached thumbnails to get the full benefit.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dolmio.jpg 
Views:	2034 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	106083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	106084  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Phantasm for Vector Halftones

"Not all of us, (especially me) have the patience, imagination and skill to come up with this level of work, but still enjoy the results of halftone effects."
    I'm with you there Bob. Your images look real good, thanks.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

that's cool bob - if I need to do this with vector output I will be looking at that plugin for sure - thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    In another thread, Gary Bouton showed us his incredible work in creating a vector halftone graphic.

Not all of us, (especially me) have the patience, imagination and skill to come up with this level of work, but still enjoy the results of halftone effects.
    But there is a way of replicating this kind of work by using Illustrator (CS 6 or later) in conjunction with a plugin from Astute Graphics - Phantasm (£49 €66* $75*) * depending on the current exchange rate.

The results are created by placing a graphic into Illustrator, and using Phantasm to convert it to a vector halftone representation of the bitmap.
    You have incredible control on the results, being able to adjust the number of halftone dots per inch, monochrome, RGB or CMYK etc.

Attached is a cute cartoon character I grabbed from a TV advert for Dolmio Italian sauces. I used XDP 10 to blur the background and focus upon the main element and then opened it up in Illustrator.

I have also attached a detail of the result so you can see that the outcome is great-looking editable vector shapes.
    I recommend that you enlarge the attached thumbnails to get the full benefit.
    Bob.
    There is 3rd option for those who are more frugal when looking for one-shot effects that aren't used often.

GIMP has a filter built in under the menu FILTER->DISTORT->NEWSPRINT which allows scalable screen sizes, offset of each CMYK alignment (for effects as shown above and the originally referenced post) and type of screen (squares, circles, combination fade) as well as the amount of aliasing to use (it's a raster effect after all). It's very effective and I've used it for actual manga style illustrations since it also has an option for just black screen.

Here are examples.
    http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-newsprint.html

The downside is it's built into GIMP and it's raster effect so it's best used as the last thing you do on a copy of an image. If you don't believe convenience is worth your wallet for every thing in life, it's worth checking out...